Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-13-2019, 11:53 PM   #1
KampinKevin

Default Heat tape usage on exposed water lines

After finding the fact that my newly acquired 2019 Vintage Cruiser 19erd has no belly cover, and all my water lines are exposed under the trailer, I was wondering if I may be able to extend my camping seasons and elevation access by protecting those lines with heat tape or some other type of heating element? Anyone experiment with or had luck with such an application? If so, what did you use? Did you do the modifications yourself and if so, what were some of the issues you had to deal with? Or even if you had the work done, what was the product that was used? Did you find limits to the use?
I don't mind winterizing the rig and then adapting my use of water and non-use of plumbing fascilities to suit the season, but my wife would never go for it...
KampinKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:59 AM   #2
Restorium

When the previous owner ordered our motor home they wanted to take it to Alaska so they ordered it with extra insolation. Mostly what was done was enclosing things and using spray foam for insolation. I don't trust it so I winterize as soon as I know it's going to freeze out. Maybe someday I will go commando and try a winter trip. lol Probably not!
When it's cold out these things are hard to heat. We had a power outage in the winter and thought it would be fun to live in the motor home until the power came back. On the second morning, when we got up my boots were frozen to the floor on the steps by the door. Brutal! Not fun, it's just survival.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
KampinKevin

Frozen boots! Now, that's camping...
KampinKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Smithcd46

RV service shop gave me a quote of around $600 to enclose the water lines on our 19ERD. Decided not to do it as we don’t travel in the colder climates. Unfortunately I did not get details on what would be done. Hope the cost gives you a baseline to go by.
Smithcd46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
Sudsy

This is how they make these "ultra-light" trailers light. They just don't have the things that add up the weight. Another post reported that there wasn't a tank level monitor in one of these trailers.

You get what you pay for!

Sudsy