Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-28-2021, 05:25 PM   #1
jeepwidow

Default 2007 Crescendo 324 FRED

I'm looking into this era RV and stumbled on the Crescendo FRED. I'm confused what transmission is in the RV. Is it a Allison 2100 5 speed or an Allison 2200 6 speed? Anyone know why the GVWR is limited to 22,000 rather than 26,000 which is what Freightliner says is in that chassis?

At the end of the day I'm after something which can tow more than 5000lb (like ~7k) and wondering if this is purely limited by the hitch.
jeepwidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
Dennis4809

Don’t know about this particular mh but here’s a flyer on the 2004 version. Note that this is not a FRED but rather a pusher. It used an Allison 3060 six speed. Towing is not determined by the hitch. If so, everyone would have a 15K hitch. Instead it’s more engine, radiator, transmission and brakes. Engineers with slide rules over several cups of coffee determine towing capability then install an appropriate hitch.

https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/medi...-Crescendo.pdf
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #3
JacobForks

My 2007 Crescendo 324 FRED has the Allison 2200 transmission. We tow a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport. No excessive brake wear. I use the engine brake in town and going down grades. We love it! No problems with listening to music or talking while on the road. Wish it was a foot or so longer. Sofa is too short for me (I'm only 5'6") and would like about 3" more room on one side of the bed. Would have preferred a bench dinette instead of the table & chairs. Short wheelbase and short rear overhang make for no problems maneuvering through parking lots and fuel stations. ISB engine. NO DEF!
JacobForks is offline   Reply With Quote