Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Gulf Stream | Tech > Electrical
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2024, 05:08 PM   #1
ZKornecki

Default keeping a Anker 757 PowerBank inside a 2024 Vintage

Hi all other than the less than ideal male/male danger cable backfeeding power, how can I power my trailer from an internal power bank. I do not want to drill a new hole. can a an outlet be wired directly into the breaker box? all suggestion appreciated. I can do basic wiring/electrical work. thanks
ZKornecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 06:24 PM   #2
Chuck v

Not sure about the details behind your question...by the "internal power bank", do you mean an inverter running off the 12 volt DC system? If this DC to AC inverter is a typical RV specific unit like a Magnum or a Xantrex it will have an internal transfer switch that can be placed between the incoming shore power line and the AC breaker box, or between specific breakers and the loads. Even most solar system inverters have such a transfer feature. If your inverter is a small one and not capable of taking on all the 110 volt items in your RV (the air conditioning, for instance, then you can use the inverter's internal transfer switch to power only those designated loads you know you will run of the DC supply temporarily hen you do not have shore power. The below diagram shows such a use -- and the primary transfer switch would be the one at the 110 volt generator, if fitted.

Please note that you will not a long run time on an inverter supplying 110 AC power to appliances inside your RV -- even the four 6volt golf cart sized batteries shown in the drawing will only give a few hours of power at the rated capacity of the inverter.

If the "internal power bank" you referenced in your post is the tiny Jackery or similar standby system, it may not be practical to go through an install for such a limited benefit. A further consideration is that your RV insurance will likely be completely voided by a cobbled together system that does not meet electrical codes. In fact most RV insurance have a reduction of maximum loss by 50% for using Lithium batteries -- even if installed professionally.

It is your rig, so you get to make any risk assessment yourself...

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inverter wiring.jpg (153.7 KB, 7 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:22 PM   #3
ZKornecki

Chuck thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I would have an electrician do any needed wiring changes if they involve the breaker box. what i was asking you basically answered. the picture helped a lot thank-you.

Just as an FYI The Anker 757 Portable Power Station has a Cell Capacity: 1229 Wh. Outputs w/Car Charger Output: 12V 10A Max and AC Output: 110V~ 13.64A, 50Hz/60Hz, 1500W Max
Old 02-21-2024, 08:53 PM   #4
Chuck v

Thanks for calling my attention to which unit you are using (missed it in your first post as I am not familiar with these little self contained inverters...)

It is not worth trying to make a permanent installation of this device in my opinion. What are you trying to power? If it is entertainment electronics, I suggest you get 12 volt versions of what you want to use. If a microwave or similar small appliance, just plug it in directly. This Anker 757 will only have a full capacity output for a little less than one hour, so it is not very capable for appliances.

I used to have a small 20 foot towable RV that I used for hunting and other dry camping uses, and set it up to use just the 12 volt system when doing that.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:05 AM   #5
Patrike1

Default Make it temporary

I agree with Chuck, don't make it permanent. Just make a connection to the panel the way the shore power is but now on the inside using heavy 15amp power cord. Be aware that you are energizing it internally, so you may won't to put a lockout on the external connection of the trailer for safety.

There are some of diy vids out there on making a mobile power station and will save you a good chunk of change. Not as pretty as they make them for retail sale but just as functional.
Cheers
Patrike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 02:03 PM   #6
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

The ANKER 757 IS LISTED AS ONLY 1229 WATTS, so basically ONLY 120vac @10-amps... SO boondocking, you cud decide what you want to power 120vac, pick a 15a circuit you cud do without, disconnect it and splice in a 15a cord/ plug AT THAT 15A BREAKER, and PLUG it into THE ANKER. It will NOT run AIR, probably not run any MWave, not sure how many hours for residential refrig on 1200watts? Just pull it all loose and back to normal b4 using shoreline. Good Luck.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:48 PM   #7
ZKornecki

Thumbs up

Thank-you for info and insight
Old 03-06-2024, 07:49 PM   #8
ZKornecki

Thanks I appreciate you for taking the time to answer

Tags
electrical issue, vintage