Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
CraigH

Default SuperNova Wheeliners

Does anyone else have a problem with the rear wheel liners staying in place? If so, any good working solutions?

I spoke to the manufacturer and it appears to be a known issue for this application without a solid fix...

Thanks for any tips...
Old 01-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
cd6400

CraigH,

If you are referring to the difficulty in keeping them centered so they don't appear to "wobble" when going down the road, I took mine off and replaced the medium density foam blocks that are installed with a higher density foam. Got better results but it didn't completely solve the problem. Appear than no matter how tight the retaining nuts are, a good bump in the road will cause them to shift off center.
cd6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
CraigH

Thanks for the response. That's what I was thinking but not sure what foam would work best.. what did you use?

These are such a hassle I thought about putting ALCOA wheels - that idea lasted just about as long as it took to get the price!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
cd6400

Yep....thats a lot of beer cans...

Actually I used part of a swimming pool noodle that I had laying around. As I said, it didn't completely solve the problem so I'm going to try something more dense....haven't really searched but I'm sure a craft store like Michael's would have something.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Texas TC

Dang Guys, this is a new one for me. Every time I have removed my wheel liners, I have had to pry them off. When I replace them, I have always made sure they were very tight and have never had an issue. I am also somewhat confused about any foam type spacer. I don't recall ever seeing them on my liners. Since mine is one of the beta models, I may have a different manufacturer than those on the newer coaches.

Good luck with a fix!

TxTC

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
cd6400

Could be the case. I tighten them very tight but they still walk out of center. I have found that because the center cap mounts over the wheel liner, if the center cap is not centered when tightened, the liner will move off center easily. I know I can't see them wobble when driving down the road, but when parked if I can see more of the white wheel rim on one side of liner than the opposite edge then they gotta be wobblin' and you are not looking cool goin' down the road. Time to adjust 'em.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
CraigH

My Left Rear won't make it 100 miles and stay in place... drives me nuts! You can crank it as tight as you like and it won't matter. Right Rear not as bad for some reason. Fronts are no problem at all...

I spoke to someone at Dicor who was very familiar with the specific application. He did not have any other fix than to try the foam and tighten up good. This was evidently something they did just for Gulfstream for the SuperNova and needed a quick turnaround.. best they could do. Familiar will the problem... though that doesn't help much... Said it was due the larger wheel size/depth, the weight toward the outer part of the wheel makes it want to shift around.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
cd6400

Imagine that....Gulfstream needing something quick and probably cheap....
Old 01-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Texas TC

When you guys take the liner off, does it come right off when you remove the lugs or do you have to pry it off with a tire tool? Mine fits the wheel like a hub cap. I have to pry it off every time. The white wheel completely disappears when I put the liner in place.

TxTC

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
cd6400

It will literally fall off. When installed and centered, it just barely covers the white rim.