Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
GregGarner

Default Super C International rear shocks?

I crawled under my 2008 Super C international VT4200 chassis, and as far as I can see there are no shocks on the rear. I have a bit of a bouncy ride in the rear of my 6316 SuperC (31' long). I am thinking that maybe adding shocks would help me?

Does anyone else have shocks, and if so can you post some pictures?
Also, I am told by international if I have the VIN from a unit that came with shocks that international can then get the part numbers for everything needed for me to add them to mind. So if someone has rear shocks, could you be kind enough to PM me either your Vin or the part of the ISIS report from international showing the part numbers of the shocks and the associated shock mounting hardware?

Or maybe is there some aftermarket truck shock I could buy?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Texas TC

Camp Helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:12 am Post subject: Super Nova Rear Shocks Reply with quote
I have a 2009 Super Nova 6400 with about 2500 miles and have completed 3 trips. After the second trip to DC I decided it would be wise to see if shocks could be added to the rear due to very high oscillations in the RV when going over a bridge that has the same resonate frequency or a large "dip" at high speeds. Anyway, I finally found someone at International that indicated that rear shocks were available as "Optional Feature Code 0014WAP". I have had the shocks installed and just completed a 250 mile trip and it has make a real positive difference! Don't get me wrong, it is not an air ride now, but now rides like my pickup in that one feels the bump and then no more oscillations. I can't believe Gulf Stream would sell these units without the shocks. It costs about $1100 to install and was installed in one day. The biggest time was drilling the 8 holes in the frame. I would suggest that anyone that is considering a Super Nova, that the shocks be a part of the purchase price.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
psharri

Default Re: Super C International rear shocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGarner
I crawled under my 2008 Super C international VT4200 chassis, and as far as I can see there are no shocks on the rear. I have a bit of a bouncy ride in the rear of my 6316 SuperC (31' long). I am thinking that maybe adding shocks would help me?

Does anyone else have shocks, and if so can you post some pictures?
Also, I am told by international if I have the VIN from a unit that came with shocks that international can then get the part numbers for everything needed for me to add them to mind. So if someone has rear shocks, could you be kind enough to PM me either your Vin or the part of the ISIS report from international showing the part numbers of the shocks and the associated shock mounting hardware?

Or maybe is there some aftermarket truck shock I could buy?
I too have a 2008 Endura Super C on the International 4200 chassis. There aren't any shocks on mine either. My wife couldn't hear on her phone one day and moved to sit on the bed. I hit a small bump while driving at 60 MPH which I barely felt. She was tossed in the air almost a foot. Not very safe for such an expensive Class C or for that matter any vehicle.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
GregGarner

Default Re: Shocks

The dealer is installing rear shocks and I should get the unit back today or tomorrow. We will try the shocks out this weekend and then maybe I can post whether or not they helped.

Greg Garner
Old 05-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
PieEye

I'm interested to know what you think after you have the shocks installed. I just had my 6400 at the dealer and while it was there I had them quote me the shock install. Their saying ~$1400 but I'm struggling with wether the difference in ride will be worth the cost and would love to hear your first hand experience. Please let us know what you think once you've had a chance to try it out.
PieEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
cafseth

We put the shocks in our 2008 6400. It made a big difference not only in the ride but in the handling on rough roads. The wife says she still cant sleep in the back but it did make a big difference.
cafseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
nailerman

Default Want to also put Shocks on our Supernova 6362.

I have been reading this string, but it seems to have stopped before something proved or disproved that good shocks would help the bouncing and the rolling of our SN. This unit is rare and it is 37 feet. The hopping in the back and the weakness of the OEM front shocks make me want to get this cleared up. I have been in touch with Koni, Bilstein, and Monroe. Koni has not responded. My IH Dealer is shying away from this because I believe they have to drill holes in the rear to mount the shocks. That is what drives the cost up.

Anyway I am interested in get this one of the few problems with the IH part cleared up. The Coach work is another story and our local dealer is useless.
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
GregGarner

Default Re: rear shocks

We have been running the rear shocks now for a couple of months. We think it improved the ride quite a bit. It is still not perfect however.

One thing I noticed is that the coach came originally with a large rubber bumper between the axle housing and the frame. I think International was using this as a sort of shock, since it is always touching. The bumper is about 8 inches tall. I have to wonder if the ride would be better if I took these rubber things off and shortened them so that they don't touch all the time. It is also possible that International uses a different bumper when they install shocks from the factory, but my dealer did not know anything about this. Maybe someone who had shocks installed from the factory can look and see what the bumpers look like.

The International dealer did have to drill holes in the frame to install the upper shock mounts. I think they wanted about $300 labor to install the shocks.

Greg Garner
Old 08-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Walldo

Well we had the rear shock kit put on our 6372 Supernova, and the ride is 100% better, not as much swaying when I go over bumps, in and out of parking lots, driveways and on and on. the best $450.00 spent. Just have your International dealer call the factory with your VIN# and what you want (rear shocks) and they will give them a complete list of what parts are needed for your frame.
Total was $300.00 in parts and $150.00 in labor, it took them all of 2 hours to drill the holes and install all the parts. I felt the difference as soon as I pulled off their lot. Good Luck
Old 08-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
nailerman

Were these an OEM Shock or better ones, like Bilstein or Monroe?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
PieEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walldo
Well we had the rear shock kit put on our 6372 Supernova, and the ride is 100% better, not as much swaying when I go over bumps, in and out of parking lots, driveways and on and on. the best $450.00 spent. Just have your International dealer call the factory with your VIN# and what you want (rear shocks) and they will give them a complete list of what parts are needed for your frame.
Total was $300.00 in parts and $150.00 in labor, it took them all of 2 hours to drill the holes and install all the parts. I felt the difference as soon as I pulled off their lot. Good Luck
Only $450? My dealer quoted me $1400!
PieEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
Nanaeve

Default Rear Shocks for International

This is the info from my local Sacramento IH Dealer for the following :

Option Feature Code 0014WAP Rear Shocks 4200 Series

Quantity--- Part#-----------------Description
2 ---------1660846C92----------Absorber
4 ---------414089C1-------------Nut
4----------414086C1-------------Bolt
2 ---------1671750C1------------Bracket
8----------414087C1-------------Nut
8----------414053C1-------------Bolt
1----------1654021C2------------Bracket
1----------1654022C2------------Bracket
4----------466906C1-------------Bolt

I haven't received these parts yet, but should this week, the parts were quoted for $588.41 and 3 Hours labor at $105 an Hour here in Nor Cal so we'll see what happens. This is right off the fax from Riverview International in Sacramento. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
Walldo

They were OE shocks,
pt#501906C92 $49.44 ea
As for $1400.00; Find another dealer!
Shop rate is a little cheaper in Montana, only $81.00 per hour
Have them use the VIN # to make sure the brackets are correct.
The Optional Feature Code 0014WAP is what I gave them, and it listed 2 different upper and lower shock mounts. So he checked with the factory and used the VIN# and came up with the parts listed.
Upper brackets pt# 473289C1 $65.00 ea
Lower Brackets pt# 3601127C1 $25.32 and 3601126C1 $25.42
plus $21.00 (give or take) for bolts, nuts, and washers
Good Luck
Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
Nanaeve

Default Rear Shock on International Endura

Well , I bit the bullet and had rear shocks installed, picked the hottest day in a while to do it. The International Dealer in Sacramento did it and took a loooonnnnggggg time, nearly 6 hours, did a neat job, but IMHO took way to long. I'll rethink having them do much on it but can say that the 35 mile ride home was like night and day, really guieted things and bumps down. We'll be going to Nor Cal / So Oregon this week and see what the consensus is but I think it seems to handle better and ride better. I also installed carpet in the drivers area along with sound mat and it helped, going to do the hood and engine compartment tomorrow. I also installed the Garmin 465T GPS along side the back up camera and programmed it in truck mode so time will tell if it saves us from a low clearence or narrow bridge / road. Seems strange after 6 months to finally be going on its Maiden Voyage, but GS hat it tied up for almost 3 1/2 months and it took a lawyer and BBB to get them moving on getting the leaks repaired. The factory FORGOT 6 (SIX) seals in the 2 slideouts and that was the cause of our leaks, we shall see.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #15
nailerman

Default Glad you bit the Bullet.

I am glad you bit the bullet on the rear shocks and placed it on this bulletin board. I am trying to get information from my IH Dealer, but it seems that the job worries them. Even told me that the addition would void my warranty. I am trying to get a parts quote from them now. Thanks for that list also. IH here is a dealer for Monroe.

I am trying to get information from IH directly, but it is a run around also. I do not think it will be as bad as Gulfstream. GS just hopes you will go away. The dealer here in Richmond is impossible, terrible and pricey. To say nothing about when they can get to it. I just fix what ever goes wrong. I can tell you, buying another RV made in the Elkhart Area will be tough to consider.

I plan on having my SN 6362 done later this fall and do believe it will improve the ride and driving.

I would like to know more about your soundproofing. We are taking out the OEM Radio, Replacing the 3.5 inch cab speakers and adding 6 x 9 speakers to the cab as well. Though my hearing is good, it is a strain to enjoy satellite radio. By the way I put a Browning 30 Antenna on the Right mirror set and it works great.

I like the SN on the IH Chassis. I don't like the way it was executed by GS.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #16
Nanaeve

Default Rear Shock on International Endura

Well, we finally took our unit on its maiden voyage, and what a trip. Wife desided a trip to the Redwoods and beach was in order and picked the curviest road to get there, Highway 128 from Cloverdale , CA to Juction of California Highway 1 , 57 miles of switchbacks, grades and curves. It handled really well, not a sportscar, but felt realy solid and secure. The ride has improved with the rear shocks and was worth the money. We had a wonderful time, 2 days in the woods and 2 on the beach. Got 8.8 mpg, and that was with running the Generator 4 hrs a day to charge the batterys for the evenings to no disturb the neighbors. Lots of questions and tours of the rig from onlookers. Drove 340 miles round trip and still haven't seen another like ours on the road, I know they are out there but still a rarety ! Now if they just were able to get all the leaks taken care of, we don't know yet but are looking forward to other trips to continue to check out our unit.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
nailerman

Default That's what I want to know.

That is what I wanted to know. Sounds like I will be happy.

My big problem is getting information from my local IH People. Costs and timing. It may be that I will take it to a company that has been here in Richmond for ever and truck suspension are their thing to get this moving. IH's District man is involved now too. He says the addition does not effect the warranty.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #18
Texas TC

When I was exploring options before I decided to go with the air ride application, SW International quoted about $900.00 for the shock package install. Hope that helps with your pricing question.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:28 AM   #19
schmittm

I have a 2008 6372 Supernova that I just picked up new, dealer in CA went bellyup so got a great deal. First I had to have the gears in the rearend changed to 529. One phone call is all it took and International called me, set it up, ordered a complete rearend assembly and had it ready to install in one week. At install the went through and upgraded ECM, one of the parameters is speed limiter, I asked them to set at 85 and they did. When they were done with they printed out a sheet with all the setting for the ECM. International's service was great and all covered by Warranty.
While I was there I had them install shocks on the coach. They did it for $566.00. It was parts plus 2.5 hours of labor. They did not have to take the wheels off to do it. Like the previous post, shocks made a huge difference in the 70 mile ride home and after having the ECM updated it seemed to run smoother.
One other item I have added is a TSdieselperformace chip (plug-in box). This makes a difference that you can feel, if you are driving and turn the dial from off to all the way on, you can feel it. The cruise control goes from fluctuating the throttle all the time to being able to hold a constant speed with out contstantly on the gas/off the gas. There is also more power for towing and hill climbing. Not sure my mileage is any better yet, but it is worth it for the extra power. Does not change or mess with ECM so will not show up if they plug in to your ECM that you made any changes, if you are having any engine work done you will still want to unplug/remove it so they do not see it.
Here is website http://www.tsdieselperformance.com/site ... ge/1095737
Everything else is great and love this Class C. These Supernova's are the best Class C on the road for the money, it tows my Nautique wakeboard boat like it is not even there (5500 lbs+)
Old 10-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
Nanaeve

Default Power Chip

Sounds great, BUT if you have problems, warranty is out the window, I'm interested in the mileage changes maybe after you've had it in for a while you could lets us know and what if any problems have occured.