Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
nailerman

Default Connecting Chassis Batteries to House Converter Charger.

Since the House Converter is not connected to the Chassis Batteries, I was thinking about connecting them like on my boat. I am was thinking about putting in a Normally Closed Solenoid Relay like a Cole Hersee 24420 controlled by the ignition on circuit so that when the engine is on the house converter will be isolated from the converter in case I am running the genset while driving or starting the genset while parked with engine running. In stead of the converter I could add a battery tender with the same hook up.

Little long winded, but I want to keep chassis' batts topped up when parked for a while.

Any thoughts?
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
dsomonster

Nailerman,
I use this product:

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/p ... arger.aspx

Many friends use this product:

http://www.lslproducts.com/TLSPage.html

Both are essentially the same type of unit. They"steal" excess power from your house batteries to put a trickle charge on your chassis batteries. My stock batteries lasted all about 19 months and I wanted something "idiot" proof that I did not have to mess with to keep the chassis batteries charged up.
I use Xantrex in my Supernova 6400 so I shelled out the extra "scratch" to keep it all Xantrex. My buddies who use the Trik-L-Charge are very happy with theirs. The only difference I see is the Xantrex unit is 15amps max vs. the 5 amp max of the Trik-L-Charge.
I hope this is what you are looking for! If not, I just wasted a bunch of your time.

-Ron in SoCal
Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Texas TC

Thanks for the tip. I ordered one today. Good addition to keep the chassis batteries hot. Mine are almost four years old so I am getting a little nervous about how much longer they will last. Maybe this unit will get me a few extra months.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
dsomonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC
Thanks for the tip. I ordered one today. Good addition to keep the chassis batteries hot. Mine are almost four years old so I am getting a little nervous about how much longer they will last. Maybe this unit will get me a few extra months.
TxTC,
Which model you going with?

Just curious. My buddies keep giving me hell for overpaying for the Xantrex unit. I do feel like they have a point. Why pay extra for something if you don't have to?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
nailerman

Good information never wastes time. As my Dad taught me, "The only stupid question is the one you do not ask."

I like the Ultra Trickle Charge as it is encapsulated. Could go right in the hatch with the batteries or in the engine room. No worries about weather or gasses getting to it.

My experience with House Batteries has been mostly on boats the last 24 years. On Deep Cycles I have found if they tell you three years, believe them. Go a few months over and they are useless. I am in the habit of changing my house batteries at each three year interval. AS the coach was built in early 2008, I thought I would get until now to replace the OEM House Batteries. Didn't make it. Replaced last year in February. The chassis batteries were originally installed by IH are in need of replacing. I believe that since I had one replaced under their warranty, an imbalance came about on the two batts and it finally lead to their demis. IH has a sale on right now with 1000CCA's at about $74.00, so I am getting a new pair next week.

It was just a surprise to me that Goofstream did not put in something so the chassis batts would charge when parked like my earlier Itasca Navion.

Best to all,
Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Texas TC

Like nailerman, I went with the Ultra Trik-L -Charger. It looked good, easy to install, encapsulated and was cheap. I hope I will get it and install it before we leave for Arizona in a couple of weeks.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
nailerman

Not cheap. Cost effective!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
dsomonster

I had to ditch my house batteries after 18 months. They were not enough for my family's needs. Not that they were bad, but I found a buddy who was in need of 2 group 27's and he bought them off me!

I moved my chassis batteries to under the first grey tank which fit fine. Then in the old chassis battery location, I added 6-6volt U2200's. I also installed a Xantrex Inverter and Auto Gen Start. Now I can really be off the grid for hours upon hours at a time before the genny has to kick in and charge them puppies up. Here are some pics:

Now to get that Damn ACE Air Ride installed. Why can't I be in Dallas for a few weeks?

-Ron
Old 02-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Texas TC

I received my Trik-L-Start yesterday. Picked up the coach from its' Camping World Spa treatment today and proceeded to install this delightful new addition. It took me about thirty minutes. The wires were all long enough and there was a cross-brace between the open battery compartments that became the new home for the control box.

I hooked it up and it proceeded to do as advertised. The charge light came on for an instant and then went into maintain.

Great addition at a reasonable price. Thanks so much for the link and suggestion.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
dsomonster

Hey, I am glad to be of help!

That is just a "spit in the bucket" compared to all the assistance and entertainment you've supplied us with over the years.

Enjoy!