Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #41
Capt_Bill_USMC

Some photos of the adapter that was used to plug in the coach.

Was thinking of getting a new one and trying that.

I haven’t had the chance to get to the tape on the power chord but I will. I seriously doubt it was crossed unless the previous owners receptacle was also crossed. That’s why I think I want to start with the adapter. Much easier to replace the adapter than the power chord.

Thanks again!
Capt_Bill_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #42
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Bill_USMC View Post
Some photos of the adapter that was used to plug in the coach.

Was thinking of getting a new one and trying that.

I haven’t had the chance to get to the tape on the power chord but I will. I seriously doubt it was crossed unless the previous owners receptacle was also crossed. That’s why I think I want to start with the adapter. Much easier to replace the adapter than the power chord.

Thanks again!
Yup. That adapter is fried.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #43
Capt_Bill_USMC

Ok thanks! Had a feeling. It smelled fried. So I’ll start there and get the one you recommend.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #44
Capt_Bill_USMC

Update: I got the new adapter from
amazon. Didn’t realize they delivered on Sundays.

Plugged it in to the GFCi on my shed and no smoke. Proper to plugging it in I turned every thing off. Then when I added things like the roof ACs it tripped the GFCi and the breaker inside the house.

This can’t be normal. I should be able to rub my coach from shore power. Here is a photo of what the inverter panel in the galley is showing: I don’t think the first lighted LED on the indicator should be red. I think it should show green showing it is charging. Yet I have a charging rate as indicated by the bottom LED.

The fridge will work right now as will the microwave: not sure if they will trip the breaker or not, as I have the fridge turned off but the LED light showing that it is off is lit. In the past if it is not lit it shows that it will not come on until the batts are at a certain level. Same with the microwave.

Any thoughts? This is my successful plugin since the previous owner had it plugged in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3660E14F-F071-426C-9677-088D6DB711B9.jpg (107.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #45
Restorium

Quote:
Update: I got the new adapter from
amazon. Didn’t realize they delivered on Sundays.

Plugged it in to the GFCi on my shed and no smoke. Proper to plugging it in I turned every thing off. Then when I added things like the roof ACs it tripped the GFCi and the breaker inside the house.

This can’t be normal. I should be able to rub my coach from shore power. Here is a photo of what the inverter panel in the galley is showing: I don’t think the first lighted LED on the indicator should be red. I think it should show green showing it is charging. Yet I have a charging rate as indicated by the bottom LED.

The fridge will work right now as will the microwave: not sure if they will trip the breaker or not, as I have the fridge turned off but the LED light showing that it is off is lit. In the past if it is not lit it shows that it will not come on until the batts are at a certain level. Same with the microwave.

Any thoughts? This is my successful plugin since the previous owner had it plugged in.
You can run your coach off shore power. It would have to be a proper sized cord and a 50 AMP circuit.
Right now I have my coach plugged into shore power at my home. It's plugged in with a 100 foot regular extension cord to a 15 amp service. If I turned on my roof AC the cord would get hot and I would blow a breaker on my house panel. I can run everything else. If I wanted AC I would have to use a bigger cord and a bigger breaker. Like what I use at the parks.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #46
Capt_Bill_USMC

Ok so everything is normal then. Because I’m using the big fat RV chord with the new adapter plugged into a 15A GFCI. I just can’t tell if it’s chsrging or not. Because the panel shows differently when I run the generator.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #47
Capt_Bill_USMC

The next issue is that I just came out to the RV and tried to start the generator while hooked up to shore power. It won’t start. It’s doing that thing that it does when the batts are low. Should I be able to start the gen while on shore power?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #48
Chuck v

Bill,

I agree with Restorium's post above -- you presently have your coach plugged into a single household utility outlet...most likely rated at 15 amps maximum. This should be sufficient to run small loads like the TV and the microwave, but not all the air conditioners at the same time and maybe not even a single air conditioner by itself, since air conditioners are large loads of 12 to 15 amps EACH. I found this handy listing of 110 volt loads typical of RV uses that may help you. Remember, your converter that charges your house batteries and provides the 12 volts that runs your lighting is an additional load to those listed below, and these converters usually draw 6 to 7.5 amps from the shore power:

For instance, a 13,500 BTU air conditioner can draw around 14.5 amps when set in cooling mode and 16 amps when set in heating mode. As for the other appliances, they might be able to draw the following amperage:
  • Microwave - 12.8 amps
  • Toaster – 10 amps
  • 6-gallon electric water heater – 12.5 amps
  • Electric coffee pot – 10 amps
  • Crockpot – 1.5 amp
  • Hair dryer – 10 amps
  • Heating pad – 0.5 amp
  • Television – 2 amps
  • Electric frying pan – 10 amps
  • Ceramic space heater – 7.5 – 12.5 amps
  • Clothes iron – 9.2 amps
Note that the figure above indicates the number of amps that a single appliance can draw. If you have more than one units of a particular appliance, then it can also draw more amps.

As to the photo of your inverter control panel in your post above, it is passing 110 volts to the downstream loads like your refrigerator. The charge rate indicator (bottom LED on left...) shows green so the charging rate is just 10 to 20 amps into the battery, and the battery status indicator shows red meaning low battery voltage -- none of these conditions is mutually exclusive and all make sense for a coach that has been starving for shore power for some time. Remember, you have been consistently discharging the house batteries repeatedly such that the generator can't be started until the main engine is running for a time.

I suggest you leave the air conditioners off (breakers off) and let the coach charge on the limited shore power your 110 volt 15 amp shed outlet is providing. You should find that the battery status LED will show green as the voltage comes up to normal unless the house batteries are permanently damaged by the recent events.

I doubt that you cn stgart your generator when the battery status indicator is red indicating low voltage. Maybe your generator starts off the chassis batteries, but I doubt that. Can you start your main engine?

Keep us posted on what you find, and good luck with your next berthing location which hopefully will have a proper 50 amp 230 volt RV connection for your rig.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #49
Capt_Bill_USMC

Here is how the coach is plugged into my shed. It appears my shore power chord is fine I checked the inverter and it is showing AC input as is the panel in the galley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E68E89B9-F10A-4FE7-A5B4-D8445D2D6FB2.jpg (334.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #50
Capt_Bill_USMC

Thanks Chuck!

So for my next location it’s going to be interesting. I have a farm, no buildings, no house, just 18 acres of pasture and hay fields which is being harvested for the hay right now. There is a power pole on the property so the idea is to tell the electrician to rig me up a 50 am power station. But I know I need to be careful because my coach is 110. I read up on it and it’s confusing because you can’t get 50 amps from 110. Ohms Law just won’t support. So how does the power get stepped down from 230 to 110 without frying the coach?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #51
Chuck v

Bill,

Not sure what the typo "chord is die" is supposed to actually say -- but your present connection is valid, just of limited capacity...namely 15 amps.

Chuck

Old 08-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #52
Chuck v

Bill,

Your coach is definitely NOT limited to a 110 volt service, even though you have no single loads that require 230 volts unless you have a clothes dryer that is much different than the one I had in my coach. Your coach is wired much like a normal residence, in that there are two phases of power entering the service at the main panel, and each phase is individually capable of 110 to 120 volts. The 4 pin 50 amp connector on your shore power cord indicates that your coach is wired in this way.

When you put in your power pole on your land, just be sure to have the electrician install a mating RV style 4 conductor 50 amp 230 volt outlet and you will be fine.

Chuck

Old 08-11-2019, 06:39 PM   #53
Capt_Bill_USMC

Sorry typo my fingers are too fat for this phone. It is suppose to say fine. I said that because there was some question as to the legitimacy of that chord due to it being taped.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #54
Capt_Bill_USMC

Thanks Chuck. So you meant 320 or did you mean 230?

And I have a washer dryer combo.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #55
Capt_Bill_USMC

This was in my coach. I think this is what you were trying to say and I was too but just didn’t say it correctly. It’s the second column that discusses 50 amps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9FF71CB9-0304-4D71-B679-6AB9FC830E55.jpg (310.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #56
Chuck v

Yes 320 -- I corrected it above...

Your washer combo runs on 110 volts only. I had separate units in my coach (a stacked set of a washer and a dryer...each a separate appliance) and my dryer also was only 110 volts, although I have heard of some very large coaches that have had 230 volt dryers.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #57
Chuck v

Thanks for posting that document -- it confirms the discussion of my post #52. While your coach does not have any 230 volt loads/appliances...it does plug into a 50 amp 230 volt outlet at an RV full hook up pedestal at an RV park. Any licensed electrician should be ble to provide a service outlet compatible with your RV when provisioning a service post t your property using a 14-50R NEMA receptacle.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #58
Chuck v

Bill,

Here is a good choice for an outlet box for your property. It has a breaker for the 50 amp service which allows you to plug in the coach and then apply power by flipping up the breaker (avoids any arcing on the connector when mating the plug to the socket...) and also includes a duplex 115 volt outlet with GFI breaker to run other items outside the coach. Essential items would include a heating strip for your fresh water hose when outside temps are freezing (or a heated hose like I used...) and tools you might want to use around the outside like a leaf blower. The box sells for about $144 at Home Depot.

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: png RV outlet from Home Depot.png (197.9 KB, 1 views)

Old 08-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #59
Capt_Bill_USMC

Thanks! That’s awesome. Good tip about the hose never would’ve thought!
Old 08-12-2019, 06:17 AM   #60
Restorium

Quote:
Thanks Chuck!

So for my next location it’s going to be interesting. I have a farm, no buildings, no house, just 18 acres of pasture and hay fields which is being harvested for the hay right now. There is a power pole on the property so the idea is to tell the electrician to rig me up a 50 am power station. But I know I need to be careful because my coach is 110. I read up on it and it’s confusing because you can’t get 50 amps from 110. Ohms Law just won’t support. So how does the power get stepped down from 230 to 110 without frying the coach?
Your plug with the 4 prongs allows you to have two legs at 110. It's not 230 on either.
Every 230 breaker circuit is going to be able to be split in half like that and be two 110 circuits. Or one 230 if you use the two 110's together.