Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #21
bottieri

Default A/C follow up

Follow up:

The other day while parked in Camping World parking lot in Orlando I noticed the extreme heat coming from around the forward cabinet and TV area. So, today I removed the front TV to inspect the insulation behind it and found that there was very little. Much of the area had none at all.

I purchased a small roll of R-30 attic insulation 'unfaced' (about 40 feet) and tore it up and stuffed it behind the cabinet areas being careful to get every space. I removed the two small speakers and stuffed insulation up into that area until it was full top to bottom. The last ten feet or so, was placed behind the TV in that area.

I then properly screwed the wood TV frame to the wall top and bottom. (The top screws were broken off and barely holding the unit. The two bottom screws were basically all that was holding the unit to the wall.) It was necessary to drill the top two holes into the cabinet so screws could be inserted properly.

There's not doubt in my mind that this job will make the A/C unit more effective.

FYI: I talked with the Camping World tech about putting an additional A/C in the forward roof vent hole and he said if there was 110 volt wiring in that area it could be done. I checked today and there is Romex there that powers the forward cabinet plugs. I believe it's heavy enough to power an A/C unit in addition to the TV. A new 13500 Penguin A/C unit installed is about $1k.
Radio KF4FM
bottieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #22
danangie

Default AC Issue resolved!

After taping between inlet and exhaust, smoothing the ducts, and just giving up and not running the AC through the ducts, I've resolved the issue!!! I went to another dealer and discussed my problem; he immediately said your freeze switch is not working. We walked out to my unit he stuck his hand up in the unit and said well even if it is working, it's not touching the coils so it won't do any good. Testing reveled the freeze switch was inop. A quick replacement of the switch and no more freezing of the coils when running through the ducts. BTW, we were in the unit this weekend and the temp was 103dF. But we were nice and cool with ducted cooling. The ducted cooling worked much better than the down flow bypass, it was quieter and more efficient. Not sure why I went through three dealers and hours of work myself before someone figured out this problem. But I guess all my extra work helped the system become more efficient.
danangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #23
jmj437

Default AC issue,

Gentlemen,
I had a simular problem with my 2004 BT Cruiser (M5270) recently. I purchased it used in March of this year. The coils on the unit would freeze over and not operate correctly. It a 13,500 BTU low profile ducted AC unit.

I called GS and was told that the unit may be low on freon. I took off the cover and was looking for a servicing connecting point. To my surprise there is no such animal on this unit. I recalled GS was told that these units do not have servicing points which really did not make any sense to me but what does these days. I was told the only choice I had was to replace the unit or have someone install a servicing port.

Called local AC shop and discussed the problem with them. Was told to try and clean the coils on the unit. Went to local Lowes and purchased a spray can of WEB coil cleaner. (Its an air conditioner/heat pump coil cleaner. Sprayed unit as much as possible after taking outside cover off. Waited a few minutes and cleaned off foam with a water hose. Waited for unit to dry and that did the trick. The unit works like it is suppose to. I cleaned out the ducts of the unit as best as I could. The duct on the left side of the cabin was 99.9 % closed. The silver tape had come loose and had blown up into the opening and closed it off. Once I replaced the tape, the ceiling ducting work just fine.

I just can't believe that someone would design an AC unit that can not be serviced. What were they thinking???????????

Hope you problems are fixed now. Happy RVing................

John
jmj437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #24
boatguy

We had the same problem with our s/n talked with duotherm about the iceing problem they had me check pressures move the iceing sensor and check all the ducts nothing worked so they blamed gulfstream for a bad install they told me just run the fan till it defrosts. the unit would ice even with the duct on the grill open i fixed the problem with 2 new carrier units no more iceing and a lot quiter probably could of just replaced the front unit it now can keep the whole unit cool i wish i did it earlier so much for gulfstreams bad install
boatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #25
Frank Polimeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottieri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Polimeni
Hi All, I own a Gulfstream 6340. The past year has been a nightmare. I also had a AC problem. J&L RV in Fontana Ca fixed the problem. Seems GS did not insulate the from cab area entertanment center.
Frank Polimeni
Vista Ca.
Frank:

How did you determine that the front cab wasn't insulated behind the entertainment cabinets?

What did they do to correct that? I mean: how did they access it and what did they use to insulate the area?

Thanks for the info,
J&L checked the temp in one of the storage cabinets. At 70 degrees outside temp the cabinet was 105 degrees inside temp. They pulled out the entertainment center and found no insulation at all. They first insulated the inside and built a wall to futher insulated it. With that job and a bigger AC 15,000 BTU, I have to say all is good now and I can keep my show dogs ( Siberian Huskys ) cooled down. By the way my coach has the dark color paint job on it. I have traveled across the country in extreme heat and humidity and no problems at all.[/list]