Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
bharbison2500

Default Upgrade to Induction Cooktop

I upgraded from the 3 Burner Gas cooktop to a two burner 1800watt Induction Cooktop like the new high end RV's have. I bought the cooktop from Lowes and fabricated the mounting bracket out of aluminum plate. I own a fabrication shop so this was issue to make. I added an outlet in the cabinet below the cooktop, the cooktop will has a 15A cord with plug. I wired it in with the outlets that are under the cabinets. We had no issues running the cooktop with a Keurig or toaster at the same time. I have included pictures. If anyone is interested I put a cost on the mounting bracket. It will fit where any standard gas cooktop existed.

1999 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8362SVB
Cummins ISL 8.3L 275HP Allison
NSA Readybrake with Ready Brute Elite II
2011 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cooktop - Front View.jpg (138.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Cooktop - Top View.jpg (174.0 KB, 29 views)
bharbison2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #2
Michigan Scott

Really nice retrofit. Good job!
Michigan Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #3
hossross

Nice installation. I do have some questions on the electrical wiring.
1. Do you use an inverter? if so what is the wattage (running or steady state) That is serious 12volt amperage (150A)
2. What is the shore power amperage 30A or 50A?
3. It sounds like you added the stove power to other 110 outlets, The cook top if using both heaters is over 16 amps. I can only assume the toaster and coffee maker is on a different circuit as the cook top is at the limit of 16 gauge wire already.
I appreciate it works for you, but I think there is additional conditions and concerns that need to be understood before others make the conversion
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
bharbison2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossross View Post
Nice installation. I do have some questions on the electrical wiring.
1. Do you use an inverter? if so what is the wattage (running or steady state) That is serious 12volt amperage (150A)
2. What is the shore power amperage 30A or 50A?
3. It sounds like you added the stove power to other 110 outlets, The cook top if using both heaters is over 16 amps. I can only assume the toaster and coffee maker is on a different circuit as the cook top is at the limit of 16 gauge wire already.
I appreciate it works for you, but I think there is additional conditions and concerns that need to be understood before others make the conversion

The wiring is 14AWG for all 120VAC outlets in the coach which is rated at 15Amps. There are only two outlets in the coach that are on Shore power, the bathroom GFCI and the GFCI in the shore power compartment. Shore power is 50A. All other outlets are on Inverter power.

I upgraded the 1000Watt inverter to a 3000Watt Xantrex Freedom SW3012. You do have to monitor what you are running since the Inverter has 30A available. I can monitor each load by looking at Xantrex Control panel.

There are two circuits ran to my slideout. One for the microwave and one for the 3 outlets. The cooktop is tied in with the three outlets. The FLA on the cooktop is 14A with both burners on at 900watt each, the math says 15A but Inverter SCP read 14A. We only used one burner to cook with at 5-700wats for eggs (4-5Amps). The Keurig when heating up was 11A but only 2A brewing. Our toaster ran at 7.5Amps. We never exceed 15A on that circuit by balancing when devices were used. Obviously if you unfamiliar with principals of electricity and load management you should not do what I did. The best practice would be to add another circuit from the main breaker panel since you would not be cooking while you are moving and the load would eat your batteries. Using a Kill-a-watt meter will give the watts and amperage of each load if you do not have the Xantrex SCP, which in turn will give you the information you need to load balance.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
bharbison2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Scott View Post
Really nice retrofit. Good job!

Thank you, I thought it turned out really well.

I have retro-fitted quite a few things on the old girl. I will post the changes soon. I believe you are way ahead buying an older RV and retro-fitting and remodeling vs. buying new. We have already took her on a 2,470 mile 9 day trip with no issues. We enjoyed every day.
Old 06-02-2022, 02:35 AM   #6
Henry111

We use the Duxtop item for everyday cooking needs. We've had the cheaper brands and to be honest, we're pleased with them. We only give some thought to induction within the kitchen and have opted for a higher-quality device over the cheaper ones. This cooktop is of excellent quality. Very robust and intensely pleasant to use. I will be able to visit Duxtop again anytime. I feel that's well worth the money.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote