Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-27-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
PaddlePAT

Default Best way to level?

I used a BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler on my popup and it was great. Now that I have made the move to a travel trailer I'm looking for the best way to level it since I don't think the BAL will work for a 4500lb camper.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
PaddlePAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
MarkW

Not sure it's the 'best' way, but we found that this Camco curved leveler easy to use:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44423-C...dp/B06XPDKJN7/
MarkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:55 AM   #3
PaddlePAT

Thanks. I got one of those yesterday.
PaddlePAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
tmbrwlvs

I use my 42” wood masonry Smith level & I sit it on the floor of the trailer, checking both directions. My truck also has a digital level gauge (both directions) that is a fairly good guide too.
tmbrwlvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
Mike1931

I use a round bubble level on the shelf of my refrigerator, since it is the most important part of leveling an RV. A level refrigerator will add years to its normal life expectancy!
Just saying when ever it’s in use it needs to be level. We even lever our RV the day before we start packing for a trip.
Mike & Sherri
Tulalip Washington
35 miles northwest of Seattle
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #6
Sarge104

Cup of beer always worked for me...😉
Helps when the wife is yelling too! Worth every penny!
Sarge104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #7
Pete&Brenda

We just got this LevelMatePRO and will be using it first time on Sunday along with the Camco curved levelers that MarkW mentions. In the past the wife has observed the level through the open door, she sets the levelers on the low side and then talks to me on the phone telling me when to stop. It has worked well but hopefully this LevelMatePro will make the task simpler.
Pete&Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:11 PM   #8
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete&Brenda View Post
We just got this LevelMatePRO and will be using it first time on Sunday along with the Camco curved levelers that MarkW mentions. In the past the wife has observed the level through the open door, she sets the levelers on the low side and then talks to me on the phone telling me when to stop. It has worked well but hopefully this LevelMatePro will make the task simpler.
Just realize the LevelMatePro must be calibrated before you can use it for leveling. I love the fact that it tells me ahead of time how much I am going to raising or lowering the tongue jack so I can pick how many blocks to put under it to minimize movement of the jack.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #9
Pete&Brenda

Spent a good amount of time in the driveway getting the trailer dead on level. Installed the unit level in the trailer. It is not on the centerline but I didn't see where it had to be. Tomorrow morning when I get ready to hook up to the truck I'll set the hitch height. The wife is the one most excited about this new device. Puts the burden of are we really level on me....hoping it works out well for us.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #10
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete&Brenda View Post
Spent a good amount of time in the driveway getting the trailer dead on level. Installed the unit level in the trailer. It is not on the centerline but I didn't see where it had to be. Tomorrow morning when I get ready to hook up to the truck I'll set the hitch height. The wife is the one most excited about this new device. Puts the burden of are we really level on me....hoping it works out well for us.
You should not set the hitch height until you disconnect at your campsite. The hitch height setting is not a permeant setting. You set it each time you disconnect so that you can return the hitch to the height it is at in that particular location. Hitch height required to be above your ball when connecting will vary with each location you are at.

I love the factory installed LevelMatePro in my trailer!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:57 AM   #11
Pete&Brenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
You should not set the hitch height until you disconnect at your campsite. The hitch height setting is not a permeant setting. You set it each time you disconnect so that you can return the hitch to the height it is at in that particular location. Hitch height required to be above your ball when connecting will vary with each location you are at.

I love the factory installed LevelMatePro in my trailer!
Thanks for the information!
Old 06-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #12
Pete&Brenda

Well this post is a bit belated but I'm happy to report that the LevelMate Pro is awesome. Made the task of setting up easier and accurate. One thing not mentioned is to turn the unit off once you're done. We had it on from home to the campsite but once there cut it off and it has been off since to save the battery. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the battery for storage. Highly recommend!