Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-31-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
somedave

Default City water?

Hi all! Happy new owner of a Enlighten 19BH (which is actually a Camping World branded Ameri-Lite 197BH). We’re precious pop-up campers and love everything about this upgrade, even though the off the line workmanship is poor to say the least.

The one thing I’m stumped on is city water though. There’s a fill outlet for the fresh water tank on the side, but it’s not threaded so that’s obviously not for a city connection. I can’t find a city connection anywhere else either, but the odd thing is that I found a cap for one left in the storage compartment. Should have checked before taking delivery, but honestly never even occurred to me there wouldn’t be one. The manual also makes it sound like there’s a city hookup for every model - it’s doesn’t have caveats like “on some modes” (though I know RV manuals are not awesome anyway).

So two questions:
- Does anyone know if the Ameri-Lite does indeed lack a city water hookup?
- If so, does anyone know if/how one can be installed later?

Thanks!
somedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
UAHaerospace

chances are you don't have a 'pressurized' city water connection, only a city water 'fill' connection to your holding tank. the possible reason is that there are many more hoses and connections and even a 'water transfer valve' that would then have to be in play to switch from using the holding tank to using city water. Most RV 'manuals' are very generic, and yes, VARY greatly from model to model.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
UAHaerospace

or maybe it's on the other side, where your sewer outlet and shore power connections are...
Old 07-31-2021, 11:55 PM   #4
somedave

It’s definitely not on the other side, or anywhere else after going over the entire outside surface several times. If all we’ve got is a gravity fill, that’s fine and we’ll work with it. The strange thing is that there are two hoses in the internal plumbing area going out to around where the fresh fill is, one larger and one smaller. I guess it’s possible the plumbing is in place for a pressurized city fill but it wasn’t installed either by design (to save money on valves, etc.) or by mistake. I called the dealer and they basically shrugged. Not too confident on getting any kind of answer from Gulf Stream.

I guess at this point I’m just super curious what the trailer was supposed to come with and if the lack of a city inlet was intentional or not.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:34 AM   #5
UAHaerospace

I would bet you have 'city water', though, as I don't know of any of these type of campers that don't - my son has a 2014 295BH. He has a city water inlet right outside his bathroom wall, on the driver side, probably very similarly placed as yours. The gravity water fill is actually on the OPPOSITE side, the passenger side of the trailer.

I just watched a video where it clearly shows a 'city water' inlet right above the wheel on the driver side,..

The 'city water' inlet has a 'cap', and yes, has a threaded female inlet to receive your male end of the water hose. It generally also has a screen filter inside it. The body of the inlet 'rotates' in order to screw in the water hose. I suppose it's 'possible' it got covered over by the metal siding and was never caught during QC at the factory.
The 'gravity fill' also has a cap, but it is a 'screw on' type cap, and no threads needed within the inlet.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:09 AM   #6
somedave

Awesome - that video is exactly what I’ve been searching for. It clearly shows a pressurized water inlet and where it would be. Now that I know where to look, I also found one at the same spot in the images of my exact Camping World branded model from another dealer: https://rv.campingworld.com/rv/1995787

So that pretty much seals it in my mind - there’s supposed to be a water connection there and the manufacture and/or dealer neglected to install it, and it didn’t get caught during inspections from either. What a PITA.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #7
Henry111

I purchased Camco hoses to fill potable storage barrels for emergency use. My main issues were the lead and plastic style. I coupled the hose with Camco 40043 TastePURE filter and positioned the filter on the exiting finish of the hose. The link for the filter is below. I flushed the hose and filter for concerning twenty minutes by exploiting it to run the mechanical device on the yard. I then crammed a glass with it and took a taste. I couldn't discover any plastic or dangerous taste at all. subsequently, I filled my fifty-five-gallon barrels as planned. we tend to attempt to purchase a travel trailer next summer and this dance band is used for filling the water tanks therein as well.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:36 AM   #8
somedave

Thanks for the tips @Henry111! Your reply reminded me that I should probably come back here and follow-up too.

After some back and forth, Gulf Stream finally confirmed that yes, my trailer should have had a water connection like literally every other modern trailer. I took it back to the dealer and they performed the work to add the cap and hookup location under warranty. Apparently the lines were all there but just hadn’t been connected through the shell. Quality control!

The good news is that it did end up getting resolved and we were able to get out and camp multiple times last fall and are looking forward to another great year. Thanks for the help here last year everyone.

Tags
water plumbing