Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
BristolApp

Default 2014 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 198BH-HELP

New to the board. We are planning on leaving Friday to drive 7 hours to buy our first Camper (we've graduated from a popup). I have a couple questions : 1.) Any known issues with this camper? 2.) Can I get it serviced/warranty repair locally without having to return it to original site? 3.) The dealer has quite a reputation according to the BBB. Will the manufacturer make it right if there are any issues? 4.) Is a prep fee normal ($495)? 5.) Any other advice?
Thanks!!!
BristolApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
whizzer

Default Re: 2014 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 198BH-HELP

Have not had any warranty problems using other dealers. Most require an authorization from vendor Gulf Stream or others. I had a issue in Alaska and could not get the authorization, ended up paying for it but Gulf Stream reimbursed me. Purchased mine from a dealer 200 miles away, have never been back.
whizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
razorback

I am also new to this board. I am picking our 198bh supetlite Amerilite up in April in Indiana. Just wondering how was your (anyones) experience picking up at the dealer.
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
BristolApp

The dealer we used was a useless as tits on a boar hog. They wanted the sale, then when I had the above problem, they recommended returning it to a dealer in our area. As far as the camper, we like it. Two issues that we've had : one - the key tumbler on the door is pretty cheap. In an attempt to unlock the door, somehow the lock has gotten jammed. The other issue was that there was no filter between the freshwater tank and the pump. Due to no filter being there, the plastic debris in the bottom of the tank (probably caused when they drilled the holes) clogged my pump and my sink areator. I cleaned everything out and purchased a $15 filter. It's pretty simple to install. I've emailed the manufacturer asking for them to refund my out of pocket expense. We'll see if I ever receive it.

I would definately check to see if this filter is installed. If not, make them do it.

Good luck!
BristolApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
razorback

I will sure check about the water filter and door locks .My dealer here only about 10 mls.from my house a good thing l have any problems going right to him.He says before I leave factory they will give full inspection of the camper go over everything with me make sure I'm happy with it true? I plan to hook up to my ball go on down the road no swray bars, but some say they are having fishtailing pulling this model .This is my first camper so any info of anykind about this model amer lite 198BH would not be wasted.Thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
joey1127

YES: Gulf Stream is good about taking care of and addressing warranty issues.

Problem is, it takes a long time to get things done as another poster said, there is an approval process. I had a Brand New Ameri-Lite 19KD delivered on Feb 28th and it has spent the last month in the shop because it's so full of flaws caused by Gulf Stream's lack of QC. If you want to go far in this coach, make sure you are a do-it-yourself kind of person because these things are born flawed.
joey1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
razorback

Default 248Bh

thinking about buying A 2014 248Bh we were going 2 get the 198BH but it was a little small and did not come with a lot of things they said it would have.The 248BH were looking at is fully loaded , power earning , electric toung jack, stereo with built in DVD for the TV 4 speackers inside 2 outside. It is a 2014 fully self contained everything works off gas or electric even the water heater. It has two door frige , oven 3 burner cook top.Comes with TV wall
mount that swivels then locks in place when going down the road.You can look the floor plan up.This trailer has all one can have.Now the big question everything included freight and sales tax and sway bars we can get it for 14,101 Is this a good price? We thing so but would like other opinions. Please reply thanks from Razorback.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
psgoodale

Default Re: 248Bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorback
thinking about buying A 2014 248Bh we were going 2 get the 198BH but it was a little small and did not come with a lot of things they said it would have.The 248BH were looking at is fully loaded , power earning , electric toung jack, stereo with built in DVD for the TV 4 speackers inside 2 outside. It is a 2014 fully self contained everything works off gas or electric even the water heater. It has two door frige , oven 3 burner cook top.Comes with TV wall
mount that swivels then locks in place when going down the road.You can look the floor plan up.This trailer has all one can have.Now the big question everything included freight and sales tax and sway bars we can get it for 14,101 Is this a good price? We thing so but would like other opinions. Please reply thanks from Razorback.
We bought a 2013 Visa RBS that was still new a few weeks ago. MSRP was around 25k. They were asking 18,900 and I got it down to 16,925. I suppose prices really range when buying trailers. I am not sure if I made out ok but I am happy with what I got for what I spent. I did get an extended warranty on everything but the tires for an additional 1300. 7 year warranty. .... Already had a few issues once home, but nothing I couldn't take care of- Overall we are very happy with it and cant wait to take it camping.
psgoodale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:37 AM   #9
jackli

The gps gsm tracking ,you can get more details at chinazrh.com
jackli is offline   Reply With Quote