Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
doncavareno

Default Tire replacement

Hi everyone, I have a 2007 BT Crusier 22 ft . Bought it new now has 93000 miles on it. Still runs great. Question to you all, I last replaced the front tires in 2010, 42000 miles ago and the rears in 2012, 30000 miles ago.
There is still a lot of tread on all six tires and I do not see any sidewall cracking.
Tire shop was ambivalent about replacement as they looked ok to him.
But I plan on doing a trip up to Canada this summer and have heard a lot of people say they replace their tires every five years or so regardless of tread wear.
My inclination is do replace them so I do not have to think about it on the road. However a new set of Michelin’s is about 1600 dollars.
Would like to hear about any experience you have had with older tires.
Thanks,
Don
doncavareno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
Chuck v

Don,

Seven year old tires on a heavy vehicle where you do not carry a spare (I would never consider changing a tire on my full size diesel pusher even if I DID have a spare and an appropriate jack...) is taking more of a chance than I would take on a trip out of the country.

The only time I delayed replacing tires on an RV was on my travel trailer that got very little use and was always stored inside -- those were 9+ years old and had only about 3000 miles on them. Tread looked perfect, of course. Yes, I had a flat in the middle of a long stretch of freeway. At least I had a spare tire/wheel and the jack on my truck sufficed to allow the repair...but being on the shoulder with semi trucks blasting by at full highway speeds was disconcerting at the least!!

Its your rig, but saving a bit and having the possibility of getting into trouble on the road is not what I would choose.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
Restorium

I had 10 year old tires that looked like new. One blew out near Cleveland on the way to Niagara Falls. Had to replace all 4 on the back. $1600. It was a really challenging day. If you are prepared for that then you have no problem. If not, buy new tires.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:30 PM   #4
Leisure Time Larry

I, too, am in the better safe than sorry camp. You don't have to spend $1600 on Michelins, unless you want to. There are several good choices for tires for our rigs. I'm very happy with my 16" Cooper HT3s from Discount Tire. They are also a rib tire.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post
I, too, am in the better safe than sorry camp. You don't have to spend $1600 on Michelins, unless you want to. There are several good choices for tires for our rigs. I'm very happy with my 16" Cooper HT3s from Discount Tire. They are also a rib tire.
That brings up another point that if you have a blow out you are happy to pay what the closest tire store asks. I wasn't in a position to get a bargain in Cleveland. Had to drive around in extreme traffic to even find a tire store that carried tires that big. So $1600 was not for Michelins. It was for whatever they had to get us back on the road.
I have AAA RV plus. Called them right away. They kept stalling sending someone. I ended up changing the blow out myself in a gas station parking lot. It was a dirty sweaty job. The AAA 'help' showed up right about when I was done. They sent a helpless looking old man who was extremely relieved that this old man already changed the tire. I had a neck ache that lasted a couple days.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote