Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-06-2021, 10:49 PM   #1
Koot

Default Tow vehicles

I plan on towing a 2014 Ford focus hatchback with my 30' class C conquest.
The focus has a clearance from the road to the to the plastic brush guard of approximately 4", and about 6" to the front bumper. This seems a bit low.

Has anyone had the experience of towing a vehicle that sits that low?
Would there be a problem with the front end bottoming out on dips in the road?
If so, what would be considered a safe clearance distance?

Thanks for your help.
Koot
Koot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
ezdriver

I tow a CR-V with a 28' BT Cruiser. My first choice was the Focus, but I wanted higher clearance for national forest roads. I don't understand your question about the Focus ground clearance. There should be no difference between driving the car or towing the car. If you can drive it without bottoming out on dips in the road, then towing should give you the same result.
For a tow bar weight of 40 pounds, you'd be adding 20 pounds to the front of the car which shouldn't cause measurable lowering of the front end.
Maybe someone who tows a Focus can tell us their results here.
ezdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
ezdriver

Before someone points this out, I'll correct it here. The majority of the tow bar weight is carried by the hitch receiver, and the weight added to the car is minimal.
ezdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
Steven

Default not practical for tow vehicle

When the trailer is close to the two vehicle's max rating, another issue you run into is just driving safely. Can you still accelerate up to a safe speed when merging? Will you cause a rolling road block towing uphill as you go slower and slower because the vehicle just doesn't have enough power? Will the vehicle maintain control in a strong crosswind or get pushed around because it is so light & small compared to the trailer? Pushing the vehicle to its limits will also wear it out a lot faster. My father had an underpowered vehicle for towing a boat when I was younger (#s worked, but barely) - it was quite stressful when towing and work to try to keep it under control. Also, it was embarrassing (and not the safest) to be passed by the semis on the big overpasses. Do not remember if he had braking issues but would not be surprised if he did. But I do remember he hated it and said never have an underpowered vehicle.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:46 PM   #5
Stovebolter

Tow Bar or Tow Dolly or Trailer ?
Stovebolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:01 PM   #6
ChrisW

I have pulled my 2005 Focus behind my 30' 5291 BT Cruiser for many miles with no issues at all. The drag rollers at the back of the motorhome frame have about the same road clearance as the bottom of the car. I can't tell the car is back there so I leave the rear camera on so I can watch it.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:16 PM   #7
Koot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
I have pulled my 2005 Focus behind my 30' 5291 BT Cruiser for many miles with no issues at all. The drag rollers at the back of the motorhome frame have about the same road clearance as the bottom of the car. I can't tell the car is back there so I leave the rear camera on so I can watch it.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

Special thanks to ChrisW!!

I believe Chris has answered my question.

Koot
Koot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #8
jerryg401

Default Towing

HI,

I have towed the following with my 2007 BT Cruiser 5291 for many miles with no problems at all. I have drag rollers attached to the rear of the frame of the MH and have never had the toad contact anything.

2000 Chevy Tracker
2014 Honda CR-V
2017 GMC Terrain
jerryg401 is offline   Reply With Quote