Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #1
WV1995ScenicCruz

Default stuck throttle

1995 Gulfstream scenic cruiser diesel pusher.

went to start after changing batteries (dead from no use last year - COVID), cranks great, no fire. throttle stuck. could not "pump" but engine usually starts on idle without foot on accelerator. could not move using as much forcer as I thought necessary without breaking something. first time this ha happened. anyone have a suggestion. I need to move RV.
WV1995ScenicCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
Sundancer268

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV1995ScenicCruz View Post
1995 Gulfstream scenic cruiser diesel pusher.

went to start after changing batteries (dead from no use last year - COVID), cranks great, no fire. throttle stuck. could not "pump" but engine usually starts on idle without foot on accelerator. could not move using as much forcer as I thought necessary without breaking something. first time this ha happened. anyone have a suggestion. I need to move RV.
I would disconnect the throttle cable on the engine and verify the fuel control is free to move if so, that leaves the cable and accelerator pedal to troubleshoot. I am betting the cable is rusted on one end or the other and you will have to spray it down with some penetrating oil and just keep trying to move it. I would start at the cab end as that is most exposed to moisture with no oil near the cable end. On my 95 Scenic Cruiser, the fuel injection pump end is quite oily and greasy so I suspect yours is also. Please let us know what you had to do to correct the problem.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:13 AM   #3
WV1995ScenicCruz

disconnected linkage and everything worked freely, sprayed cable and linkage then moved to front. found the linkage and cable area at front was binding. sprayed a lot of WD40 and freed everything up.

Thank you to all that wrote suggestions. !!!
WV1995ScenicCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:59 PM   #4
Sundancer268

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV1995ScenicCruz View Post
disconnected linkage and everything worked freely, sprayed cable and linkage then moved to front. found the linkage and cable area at front was binding. sprayed a lot of WD40 and freed everything up.

Thank you to all that wrote suggestions. !!!
Glad you found the problem and it was an relatively easy and cheap fix. I love my Scenic Cruiser and the little 12 Valve Cummins. We are going out this coming weekend and I expect no problems.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
CoachStreamr

Saving this for future reference.. ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
I love my Scenic Cruiser and the little 12 Valve Cummins. We are going out this coming weekend and I expect no problems.
So are we! The Scenic Cruiser was Gulf Stream's top of the line offering back then. We are the third owner with pretty much all the manuals, paperwork, repair invoices etc... even the original's owner's purchase invoice.

I don't have that invoice in front of me now, but if memory serves me well, it was around $178K back then. I bought a nice large house around that same time frame, up the hill from I-405 in Southern Bellevue (now Newcastle) with a sweeping view of Lake Washington for not much over $178K.

So that would have been a big deal for me to spend that kind of money for a Coach around that era.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
startup, stuck throttle