Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
CaptRon

Default Trailer Wheel Alignment

Does it matter how the wheels are aligned on a single axle trailer? I can understand having alignment issues on a tandem axle trailer.

Shouldn't a single axle trailer more or less automatically align itself with the direction of travel like the three legged stool that always has 3 feet on the ground ... two tires and hitch ball? Other than camber is there anything else in the alignment category that would wear tires prematurely?

Likewise how would one go about checking the directional alignment on a single axle? I have measured mine from the spindle to the hitch on both sides (not a very precise point to point measurement) and as near as I can tell the measurements are the same.

Anyone have alignment expertise?
CaptRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
philabele

Default Re: Trailer Wheel Alignment

My sense is that alignment does matter even on a single axle trailer. If the wheels are not square to the frame / tongue, then there will be abnormal wear and other factors affecting efficiency and, in extreme cases, towing safety. Camping World does an alignment check that seems quite thorough. If you suspect alignment issues, then you should have it checked. Just one guy's opinion.
philabele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
BryanKim

I want to know what alignment would you suggest to prevent from abnormal wear and other factors. Please reply if possible.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
philabele

If you want to prevent abnormal wear on travel trailer tires, you need to verify both alignment and camber. Tires that are not square to the frame and aligned fore and aft will wear prematurely. Camber seems to be the bigger culprit for Visa trailers. Tires out of correct camber adjustment will also wear prematurely. Camping World does the Laser Alignment check for about $100. A reputable frame shop can do a camber check for near the same price.
philabele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
sam75

I agree camber and alignment (toe-in/toe-out angle between the two wheels) are the two most important issues. Camber is the angle of the tire compared to vertical, and can be checked with a level when the trailer is on a level surface - I taped two identical spacers along my level so they would rest on the top and bottom edges of the steel wheel rim.
Alignment turned out to be the big problem with our Visa 19ERD - we had it checked at an alignment shop (I don't know how to check that myself). Have decided not to have that fixed at a frame shop for the time being at least, since the tires look like they are going to last us about 2 1/2 years.
sam75 is offline   Reply With Quote