Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-16-2021, 06:04 PM   #1
Ldubs

Default Propane Consumption

We have a Vintage Cruiser 19ERD. Next week will be our first trip with no hook-ups. The big difference is we will be running the fridge and water heater off the two propane bottles.

I'm not really too concerned. In fact, I'm guessing I won't even crack open the second propane tank. But that is just my guess. So, I thought I would reach out to those with experience and ask how much gas I should expect the fridge and water heater to consume? Or, put another way, are we good for three days?

I know "it depends". Just looking for general feedback.

Thx!

Edit: the only other thing we might be running a lot is the furnace, which of course uses gas. Our experience so far is it doesn't use a whole lot.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #2
NavyLCDR

I go through 1 full 20 lb per season and usually dry camp maybe 2 weekends during the season, but water heater is always on gas with the electric side only kept on as a supplement for quicker recovery.

I would guess you could easily dry camp for a week on 1 bottle. Turn the furnace way down at night and bundle up and cuddle.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:40 PM   #3
Ldubs

Thanks NavyLCDR. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
Mebryant

I am always amazed how little propane we use. We dry camp quite a bit in our 25’ GS motor home and the heater is the one thing that can use a lot of propane. The heater/furnace will suck up the propane (and use your battery power). We monitor it closely, put an extra blanket on the bed, run it down at night, and when we leave to go out for a hike, etc. The fridge uses very little. We do not run our water heater constantly. We turn it off overnight, for example so it is not constantly heating water. It only takes about 20 minutes to heat our 6 gallon tank so we turn it on before dinner to do dishes after or before taking a shower.
Mebryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
elmerfud

Default Propane Consumption

We exclusively boondock camp. In the summer propane is never a problem. We run the fridge and water heater on propane exclusively. We get at least 12 days on a 20lb tank. BUT, when cold weather camping the furnace will jump up our consumption a lot. A 20lb tank will be exhausted in 3 -4 days. The furnace is a gas hog. When it is 50 degrees daytime and 35 nighttime and we set it at 60 over night and off mostly all day. The real limiting factor is the battery. (group 21.) In the summer I run the generator about 2-3 hours every other day. In cold weather I have to run it every day if the furnace was used overnight and to warm up the camper in the morning. The converter puts out 16 amps of charge. So to bring the battery up from 50% it would have to run over 6 hours. Therefore charging it for 3 hours is not really keeping up. We only dry camp for 3 days in cold weather anyway. Our workaround is to run the generator first thing in the morning and use an electric space heater to supplement the furnace to break the chill. Also the battery is charging during this time.

Hope that helps.
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #6
Ldubs

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you everybody!
Old 03-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
muleman

Default Propane l

Like couple others have said unless really cold your propane should hold out good your biggest worry as previously mentioned these things will drain your battery fairly quick with out a generator. Something to be very careful of is leaving your trailer hooked into your pull vehicle because if your trailer battery goes dead then it will start draining your vehicle battery! Happy Camping just spent 10 days in our Visita Cruiser and 2000 miles going to the Grand Isle in Louisiana! You
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:49 PM   #8
Ldubs

We fortunately have a 3400w generator. But even so, I was so focused on the propane usage I didn't give a second thought to the battery.