Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #101
rdlamb

Bravo David, Bravido!

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #102
wdawsonsr

Send a message via AIM to wdawsonsr
Default Our News

Glad to hear you are fixed up. We got word a couple of hours ago that our TM left Fontana, CA about 11:00 AM PDT so we should see it sometime mid to late afternoon tomorrow. It has been there for a month. J&L RV Repair is faxing me an itemized list of the repairs made. In talking to them I feel they got to the crux of the problem. I will know for sure when I see it in the flesh & can scrutinize it thoroughly.

Ed
2005 Jeep Liberty
7 cats
wdawsonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #103
coolchas11

David, you are a true gentleman for giving a fair final summation of your issues with GS. We, also, love our TM, but never had problems as extensive as yours. I truly appreciate reading that Sheas, et al were involved and helpful. Charlie
Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #104
David Bott

"I truly appreciate reading that Sheas, et al were involved and helpful."

Yes, but sadly it seems nothing has changed for the good. I have even now put in 2 calls about the newly replaced inverter not working correctly. Calls have not been returned. Looks like we will be making another trip to GS.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #105
rdlamb

David:
We are planning a trip, which takes us by the GS factory. It would be nice to be able to stop for a day and have GS technicians work on our TM.

Who do you call to set up appointments?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #106
David Bott

I would start by calling GS. Cindy is the service director, so she would be your best bet.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 07-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #107
rdlamb

Well, will call Cindy on Monday. Hopefully, we can spend a day touring the factory while GS does the updates I wish.
Thanks for the speedy reply David.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #108
davidahn

Default Hmmmm.

What a discouraging thread! I was just about convinced to decide on the Tourmaster Constellation by some GS fans including OP David Bott. I'm not nearly as understanding or patient as David Bott, who remains loyal to GS despite his horrible experience. He may have the free time to chase repairs all over the country for 2 years, but I work full time and my vacations need to be spent vacationing!

I'm now firmly looking at Newmars and other reliable brands (Travel Supreme, American Coach, Tiffin, etc.). I guess I have to give up my 7.5' ceiling, yacht styling and home theater. Oh well!

David

Rig: Don't own anything yet, but seriously considering 09 Tourmaster Constellation vs. 07 Newmar Essex, Tiffin Zephyr, or Travel Supreme Select... leaning toward TM Constellation.
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #109
David Bott

Woah David!!! Woah!!!

Before you jump to such a conclusion you may care to read about issues that others have had with such "reliable brands". Their is NO perfect coach that does not have any issues. None. Zadda. They story you should have taken is that GS stood behind dealing with the issues that came up. We all have had issues, that is for sure.

If you think I have time to do what I did to get things resolved, well, I really did not, but that is part of RVing in a motor coach. You will quickly find this to be true no matter what you spend your money on. You WILL require service. You will be left with your coach parked for days. You WILL here other stories of issues and meet other who will say they will not buy X again. I however never said that based on the love the the coach itself and a company that did help out.

We GS owners however have seen that paying more for a coach does not mean less issues. GS is by far the most bang for the buck and is the reason we went with them. Yes we had issues, but this is not limited to GS by ANY means.

Not the mention...most of the issues we had were product related. Example, Xantrex. This was not a GS issue, but a product that is used in MANY coaches. However, GS did their part and took care of it vs sending me to a manufacturer of the product.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 11-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #110
11B

Dave, I droped you a couple more PM at the other place.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #111
David Bott

Just wondering...Why not help here and not via PM on another site?
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #112
davidahn

Default Thanks, Guys!

11B, please post your PM to me on this thread. It was immensely helpful to me in getting some balanced perspective. Thank you, David Bott as well for your sage advice.

I've thought about it, and you're both right, 11B and DB. I could have similar problems with any manufacturer, and even if I have NO issues, I've still spent $100K more for a rig 2 years older that isn't exactly what I wanted.

I'm looking at a used one, which should have the biggies worked out already, and worst case scenario, I have it in the shop off & on for 1-2 years. Heck, I'm not on vacation all the time anyway. I save $100K, get the coach I really want, and in a year or two, I can enjoy it for the next 10 years.

Best case: I save $100K, get the rig I want, AND have no problems.

Sounds really good, guys. Thanks for your experience and perspective.

BTW, David, howdy. I was wondering if it was you (avsforum) or another David Bott!

Rig: Don't own anything yet, but seriously considering 09 Tourmaster Constellation vs. 07 Newmar Essex, Tiffin Zephyr, or Travel Supreme Select... leaning toward TM Constellation.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #113
David Bott

LOL...Yes, thats me. You now found my other passion, motor coaching, other than operating AVSForum.com. (Now you really can see why I MUST have data access from the other thread. )

On that note...I also looked at the Big C (what I call it) but the floor plan was not to my liking. After all, the floor plan is the key. And to think, theater room and all. It was right up our alley. (But alas, I am adding front projection to our TM.)
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 11-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #114
11B

David B, the only reason I did it through the other site was that is where I first saw his post and had already replied before checking here. Here is a copy of the the PM I sent him and it is truely the way I feel about my GS Friendship.

""David first let me respond to your thoughts about David Bott and others. I bought my MH three years ago in about the same way you are (no experiance) at the time The G-8 I purchased was the top of the line for GS and with the options they offered and the price I could see no reason to go for the higher priced rigs no matter how much everyone bragged about them.

It has been my experiance over the last three years that the biggest problems you will encounter will come from componet parts and all builders use the same ones. Its a matter of reading thier warranty books and figureing it out yourself. This is mainly where the rub comes with most new buyers, they figure they should be able to call GS and and have them tell them what to do when a little reading would solve the problem ASAP.

I am very limited in my mechanical ability so as far as oil and filter changes I rely on people like Freightliner and other folks and belive me cost verse headaches its well wirth it. If you have a dealer close by to take care of warranty items for the first year you will have no problems with GS, after that your on your own with each seperate item and how to deal with them. I have found that a reasonable person will catch a lot more bees with honey than a damanding jackass that only sees the glass as half empty (most RV.net posters).

Davisd Bott is very happy with his coach but remember no matter what brand you choose you will go through a least a 12 month shake down period that I found the biggest problem to be not the coach but your ability to read and understand how it all works. Also remember that very little of what will need to be fixed actually is with the coach and builder.
I have done my homework on GS as far as a company goes and I like the fact they are family owned and have a strong balance sheet. As I said before thier still building coachs and thats a lot more than other people can say.""
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #115
David Bott

Ah! Makes sense seeing you found him their first.

You are so right ion what you said. I am happy with the TM even after what we went though (I was ticked off surely at points). I also know I am not alone in going though the things we did and it has actually made me a better coach owner (If you look on the bright side of life.). As you nicely pointed out, like I did (good for us), it is usually not an issue with the coach itself but the products used. Most people forget, or do not think about, is each time you drive your HOME it is like a 3.0 earth quake to it.

Hey in regards to... "...your thoughts about David Bott and others" Hey David, what thoughts? LOL

Take care all. BTW...2 weeks from tomorrow we hit the road for 5 months. From Upstate NY to Calf and anywhere south in between.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 11-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #116
davidahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott
LOL...Yes, thats me. You now found my other passion, motor coaching, other than operating AVSForum.com. (Now you really can see why I MUST have data access from the other thread. )

On that note...I also looked at the Big C (what I call it) but the floor plan was not to my liking. After all, the floor plan is the key. And to think, theater room and all. It was right up our alley. (But alas, I am adding front projection to our TM.)
LOL! Awesome. I'm also a huge HT fan, have considered going on a HT cruise or two with avsforum. And yes, I guess it's worth $5K to you to have internet access at all times.

The T40B's floorplan looks nearly identical except for the half bath and the fridge being flipped, and the recliner in place of the 2nd sofa (I would probably put in a jacknife sofa in place of the reclincer too), and the HT recliners in place of the full wall unit/dresser opposite the bed. Which part didn't work for you? I'm curious, maybe there's something I'm missing.

For me the clincher was the curved yacht-like cabinets. I love that look! You mentioned your FPTV. I would put a fixed rigid 80" screen under the Murphy bed with a 1080p PJ, move the 46" to the living room, the 32" to the bedroom, and get another 32" in the basement (19" is ridiculous!).

And re: my "thoughts about David Bott and others," 11B's referring to my previous post here where I was discouraged by your tribulations and those of the other sufferers. Nothing bad!

David

Old 11-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #117
David Bott

We leave on the 09 HT Cruise this coming Friday. Then back on the 15th and off in the coach on the 19th.

Yes, we do not have the second couch, we have a cabinet with a pop up (motorized) 32" LCD that come up and a Euro recliner next to it. I replaced all the sets in the coach with Samsungs. Have a 32" above the co-pilot chair, 32" in the pop up, 26" in the bed room and a 26" in the basement.

I also ran all HDMI throughout the coach and use a 4x4 Matrix switcher. I mention this for just a heads up that even the C is wired all COMPOSITE!!!!!

I did not think is was anything bad...I just thought it was funny. I really did layout our, lets call it an adventure, with our first coach. Always finding new needs...I not sure that will end. Kind of like the home theater bug.

Good luck with your choice. Let us know now it plays out.

BTW...How did you connect me with AVS? Did I happen to mentioned it here or was it just the name connection? I ask, for I seem to run into that no matter where I go on-line. And on a side note...if you are the same user name on AVS, you have been with us from 2000! Nice and thanks!
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 11-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #118
davidahn

Missed another one (HT cruise). Priorities have shifted for me, more into church and community building, though the 133" FPTV comes in handy for Lost night with church friends.

OK, so your recliner and pop up 32" LCD is actually just like the "Big C" as you call it. Samsungs are sweet looking TVs, and make me proud to be Korean. But for me, the recliner and motorized TV stand will have to go so I can sleep more guests. And the 19" and the 15" in the basement are just ridiculous. Maybe a flip-down 32" ceiling mounted for watching in bed. The 4x4 matrix sounds great, and HDMI is nice for passing audio in one cable.

As for the AVS connection, I was wondering from the beginning, but you posted a link to avsforum regarding image posting in this very thread. Busted! You'd actually also mentioned your cross-country HT tour and AVSforum but I'd missed that post until I did a search just now! BTW, if you do a cross-country HT tour, you'll hit my neck o' the woods if you do a Route 66 tour... Victorville's on Route 66. I'd love to see your rig.

As for actually making a decision, I've got some financial prep work to do first, so it may be a few months. We have 2 vehicles to pay off, 2 offices to finish tenant improvements on (my wife's dental office is 90% done, my 2nd medical office is 50% done). Then we'll sell some stocks when they rebound, and we're golden. Hope we don't miss the buyer's market before we're ready to pull the trigger!

David

Old 11-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #119
GO BLUE

Davidahn....I am also still working full time and use my 07 t40b on the average 25 weekends a year....7 nascar races....disney...key west and fort myers beach....put about 8000 miles a year.....but in between times I schedule repairs.....this is a house on wheels....and things break.....if you think rv"s are in the shop a lot ..try a boat.....but the wife and I love our tourmaster.........jim k
Old 11-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #120
davidahn

Thanks, GoBlue! I'm impressed you go out every other weekend! My wife and I are homebodies, but maybe we would go out more if we could take our "home" with us. We enjoy Nascar and live near California Speedway, not to mention there's beach, mountains, desert, skiing/snowboarding, Vegas, etc. within 1-2 hours of us. I think we'd really enjoy it!

BTW, GoBlue, are you a University of Michigan alum? My wife is a Wolverine (School of Dentistry 2004). Or does that mean something else too?