Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
Trent1961

Default A/C issue

Our 2005 Yellowstone has an issue with the A/C unit. It will kick on and you can hear the compressor, but no fan noise or air movement. It will run for less than 2 minutes then shut down abruptly. It even kicks off the tv. The strange thing is that no breakers are ever tripped. Does the unit have an internal relay that kicks off of the fan isn’t working?
Trent1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:27 PM   #2
RY469

Always a chance you are kicking out the high pressure switch with no air flow over the evaporator/condenser. Best to repair the unit and get the fan motor running (maybe bad motor and/or run capacitor). Not a great idea to peak the current draw on the compressor that way, and yes, it is interesting the surge kicks out the TV.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #3
Mike1931

Your fan (blower motor) is frozen in place. Fairly an diy fix. Go up on the roof, I always take a couple pieces of plywood to distribute my weight better. Ok, now pull the four screws that hold the cover on the unit. Now wiggle the fan blades back and forth, until it will make a full rotation with little effort. I spray the fan shaft as close to the motor as I can get, with a product called TriFlow. It’s muck better than WD40. If by chance I hat doesn’t do it. I would look at YouTube for the “start run” compasitor and replace it. Just take pictures be for your operation starts. Most parts you’ll find on line.
Good luck.
Mike R
Tulalip Washington
35 miles northwest of Seattle
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
TexasMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent1961 View Post
Our 2005 Yellowstone has an issue with the A/C unit. It will kick on and you can hear the compressor, but no fan noise or air movement. It will run for less than 2 minutes then shut down abruptly. It even kicks off the tv. The strange thing is that no breakers are ever tripped. Does the unit have an internal relay that kicks off of the fan isn’t working?
Like Mike 1931 said, I pulled off the AC shroud to check the blower motor on my GS Friendship. To my surprise, the motor gas not frozen up, but mud dobbers had built their house on the cooling fan blades. I cleaned the mess off and sprayed the area with wd40. The unit worked perfectly and so far, the pests have not returned. We had changed out the original units with Carrier Air V with heat strips. I do hope you have as easy a repair as this. The coffee maker circuit is probably a different problem. Is it on a ground fault detector circuit as in your kitchen or bathroom? That was another solution to my coffee maker problem.
TexasMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #5
Trent1961

All is well. I pulled off the internal cover, reached up in and spun the squirrel cage then powered the a/c back up and it took right off! This is our first camper and we are on our maiden voyage about 5 miles from home just to get familiar with the unit and what all we need. Thanks for all the responses!
Trent1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #6
RY469

I suggest you replace your run/start capacitor. Around $10, is inside the A/C on the rooftop. Turn off circuit breaker, or make sure you don't have shore cord plugged in. Pull plastic cover off A/C, remove small metal panel to access electrical . . . Will be two to three capacitors inside. The fan run capacitor you are looking for has wires between it and the fan blower motor, usually both brown. Pretty easy to pull it out and get one same size (look at label, maybe 7.5 uF or so).
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

The Fan is most likely locked up and not turning, which MIGHT be as simple as wasp or mud dauber or Mouse NEST? Also possible is blown/ failed capacitor?