Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default Replacement propane tank

2004 BT Cruiser, our first MH with many issues but we're tackling one at a time. The 40lb propane tank is rusted to the point of what I feel is dangerous. The fillings look OK but the tank itself is quite rusty. I feel it should be replaced BUT - a new 40 lb tank runs $800 plus install. I'm thinking why not two (or more) 20lb tanks installed in the rear outside storage compartment. I'm certain there are fittings available to run more than one tank safely. I'd very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from members or associates. If I must spend the money fine, in for an ounce might as well be a pound, especially if the issue is safety.
yalerick@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
Tinman

Only you can judge the condition of your tank but surface rust isn't a big problem. RVs have ASME tanks which are different than the 20lb barbecue tanks. ASME tanks are more durable than the 20 pounders. According to other web posts just wire brush your tank and repaint. I have a 2006 BT and had a similar problem and repainted. If you suspect your tank may have other problems have it inspected by a professional.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
DolceFarNiente

It is very unlikely you need to replace your tank due to rust. The tanks walls are thick, and unless the coach has been literally sitting in salt water, the likelihood of rusting through are virtually zero.
DolceFarNiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:07 AM   #4
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
2004 BT Cruiser, our first MH with many issues but we're tackling one at a time. The 40lb propane tank is rusted to the point of what I feel is dangerous. The fillings look OK but the tank itself is quite rusty. I feel it should be replaced BUT - a new 40 lb tank runs $800 plus install. I'm thinking why not two (or more) 20lb tanks installed in the rear outside storage compartment. I'm certain there are fittings available to run more than one tank safely. I'd very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from members or associates. If I must spend the money fine, in for an ounce might as well be a pound, especially if the issue is safety.

This makes me think the camper has been in a flood. Look closely up under the dash for water damage. I have never seen a tank that rusted.

Sudsy
Old 01-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
DolceFarNiente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
This makes me think the camper has been in a flood. Look closely up under the dash for water damage. I have never seen a tank that rusted.

Sudsy
OP needs to post a pic.
DolceFarNiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #6
Dennis4809

A wire brush and a can of spray paint is normal maintenance.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 07:10 PM   #7
GeraldnIris

Late reply …
We plan on buying a 5230. Chances are good that somewhere down the road the fixed tank will get replaced by a set up the way they do truck campers. Then, when the tank you are using is empty, it automatically switches over to the other tank. Pull the empty and swap it out at countless places along the road.
GeraldnIris is offline   Reply With Quote