Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-14-2022, 03:30 PM   #1
Oldflyboy

Question A/C cooling

Just comparing experiences. 2018 Gulfstream 6320. 32'

Went camping over the Memorial Day weekend. Left a day early as it was 96 and the camper got over 89 inside so we went home.]

Talked with a friend that has an older Class C, 30'. Said he was in Kansas in 104 weather and his MH stayed cool. I asked a mobile RV repair to shceck my A/C unit for low freon. His response was that there is no fill port of that A/C unit. Does that sound right? I would think that if I had a leak, it would be gone pretty fast. Been camping many times and the unit ran a lot so don't think that is the problem.
Could it just be the insulation in the body of the RV?
Hate to give up summer camping but not going to be miserable from heat when I can be home.

Any recommendations?

Looked at the RV Flow System sand not sure that will solve anything. Might help the circulation but not the temp.

Big trip coming over July 4th weekend. Going to Colorado. Have reservations at an resort at 6500 feet so heat should not be a problem as the weather says highs are in the low 80's and lows in the upper 40's. Guess we shall see!

TIA!!
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Haltom City, TX
Oldflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:30 PM   #2
RY469

The AC's used on RV's are capillary tube sealed systems. No service port. So if the capillaries get plugged, you are reduced to paying for a new unit. And a true leak, it's defiantly a dead unit. Does the compressor run? Low Freon and it will not, fan only. Clogged capillaries, compressor will run, but the evaporator will ice up. The factories are backed up and lead time for new units run around 60-90 days minimum.
A good AC will output cold air down to 45 degree. Even with 96 degree outside, of course you are living in a big box in the sun. You should get at least a 20-30 degree delta, IF the AC works.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
Oldflyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY469 View Post
The AC's used on RV's are capillary tube sealed systems. No service port. So if the capillaries get plugged, you are reduced to paying for a new unit. And a true leak, it's defiantly a dead unit. Does the compressor run? Low Freon and it will not, fan only. Clogged capillaries, compressor will run, but the evaporator will ice up. The factories are backed up and lead time for new units run around 60-90 days minimum.
A good AC will output cold air down to 45 degree. Even with 96 degree outside, of course you are living in a big box in the sun. You should get at least a 20-30 degree delta, IF the AC works.

That's what I found out. Repair guy told me there should be 18-23 degrees difference between intake and output. So 80 inside, should be putting out 57-62 cold air. Guess I need a late gun to check.
It does throw out cold air. As soon as it cools down outside, it cools the MH down nicely.

Beginning to think that Gulfstream cut some corners on insulation. My buds is an older model. Could explain the difference.
Haltom City, TX
Old 06-19-2022, 11:31 PM   #4
Crescendo0507

These RV systems can be ported and recharged. Find a GOOD HVAC guy to put a port in your system. It may require a specific solder, and carefull soldering from an upwind side. Had both A/C units in my crescendo done and have had no issues.
Crescendo0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:02 PM   #5
Oldflyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescendo0507 View Post
These RV systems can be ported and recharged. Find a GOOD HVAC guy to put a port in your system. It may require a specific solder, and carefull soldering from an upwind side. Had both A/C units in my crescendo done and have had no issues.
Yes, I guess that can be done but if the freon is low/gone, there is a reason for it. Might not be cost effective to do it.
I replaced a unit on my old Class A and was pretty cheap. Only about $850 installed for a Coleman unit.
Haltom City, TX
Old 06-21-2022, 01:08 AM   #6
RY469

Smile Piercing valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescendo0507 View Post
Most shops claiming to be able to service sealed units use piercing valves. These clamp onto the Freon line and allow servicing. Problem is most piercing valves themselves leak over time. And since the AC's are capillary tube type, these tubes become clogged and are the source of failure. Servicing won't help. Hopefully the shop sourced original leak if servicing helps. But hey, if it gets a little more life out of the unit, and is low cost, then why not. Just be aware, in my experience, it is a short term fix. Good conversation.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote