Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2022, 06:58 PM   #1
smidge

Default Water Heater Ignition

New to the RV lifestyle....bought a 2021 Friendship and currently doing an
extended stay in...so far so good. BUt, my water heater has recently decided to not ignite. I've trouble shot what I can as I am not very mechanical but breakers and fuses are good. Opened it up and cleaned out any gook in or around the tubes. Changed my LP out to be sure and I am getting LP for the inside burners so I know it is not an issue with the tank or lines. Might have a bad ignitor??? Saw to take it off and sandpaper the ends ??? Any suggestions would be most helpful as this is my first "issue" since moving into it 2 months ago.
smidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
RY469

Does it attempt to light? Meaning does the ignitor "click" and make a spark? If yes, clean the tube going from the gas valve to the burner. Even spider webs in it will stop the flame. If no, probably a power issue. Check the thermal fuse on the front of the heater, connected to the temp sensors. Bad connection and/or bad fuse is common.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:11 AM   #3
elmerfud

Also put your finger on the gas solenoid and have someone turn on the heater. Do you feel a click? If so then most likely the tube or jet is plugged. Disassemble and clean out the parts in alcohol and blow out with compressed air. If there is no click on the solenoid then head towards the control board.
Corrosion in the gas lines causes the jet to plug. It only takes a tiny grain to plug the jet.
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:47 PM   #4
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

1) (re: spiders/ wasp nest) VISUAL inspection/ cleaning of air mixture; remove if needed to inspect? 2) Attempt to light and allow to timeout 3-5 times to bleed any air in that section of piping. (Once air bled, should work fine.); 3) Listen for the click-click of igniter?