Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-21-2022, 05:28 PM   #1
Pit Stop

Default Ceiling leak over shower

I recently bought a 2008 GS Super Nova 6331. It’s in pretty good shape (a little paint peeling and clearcoat wear, but it’s 14 years old). The problem that concerns me is the small leak I found after a storm. I took the inside skylight frame out of the ceiling and saw rotted wood on the curbside front corner of the frame. Does anyone know what that frame is connected to? I want to replace it, or repair it, and before I start hacking away at it, I want to know what I’m getting into. I called GS today and left a message for Millie. I didn’t hear back. I called again and she’d left for the day. Has anyone experienced that? Once fixed, I’ll try to locate and seal off the leak. For now, what is in between my ceiling and the roof, and can I replace/repair that frame?
Pit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:32 PM   #2
Bike Dr

I have a class a, but it was as simple as one bubble inside another bubble, one mounted to the roof and one mounted on the inside shower ceiling. Just remove the inside bubble and you should see where the water is getting in. Unless its obvious from the roof side to see a spot where it could be leaking. I had no damage to the wood I just sealed the outer skylight from the outside and inside the outter bubble then was able to reinstall the inner skylight.
My hope for you is the leak is recent and not been an on going one or you will have to check for soft spots in the roof to see how far the damage could have gone, if the roof is solid and you have a bit of skill you can carefully work inside to see how you roof is constructed. It's probably just wood surrounding the skylight to act as a frame check to see if the wood is soft, if so start easily removing the bad wood until you really see how far the water went. And what material you will need to make the repairs. if the roof is soft you have a more extensive and expensive repairs..
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:08 PM   #3
Pit Stop

Thanks, Bike Dr. I heard from Millie at Gulf Stream the day after I posted. She sent me the technical drawings of the roof for the 6331. It’s a huge help! Looks like it shouldn’t be too bad to fix. I also ordered a new top skylight to replace the old beat-up one. I’ll post back when I’m done to kill this thread. And, if anyone needs these drawings, let me know.
Pit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:00 AM   #4
Bike Dr

That's great news, leaks are a common thing with rvs.glad to hear the damage was minor!! Eternabond is a good extra layer for the new outside bubble after you install it. It's a little pricey but worth it.. happy camping!!
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:17 PM   #5
Mapleleafer

Hi Pit Stop, I own a 2006 Endura 6340 with a similar problem with the skylight over the shower. Would you be able to post the drawing(s) that Millie sent you?
Thanks in advance.
Mapleleafer is offline   Reply With Quote