Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-22-2022, 11:30 AM   #1
thesaylors2004

Default Towing

Anyone here tow a trailer behind their camper trailer? Like a golf cart or maybe a boat ? I see a lot of them on the roads but checked and some say it's illegal to tow two trailers, and some say if it recreational it's legal?
thesaylors2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:21 PM   #2
NavyLCDR

Depends upon your state law.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:22 AM   #3
Life on the fishing pier

In all my years and miles of travel I don't recall ever seeing a trailer behind a trailer. I remember seeing a video or two in which things go sideways leaving an accordion looking mess in the ditch.
Life on the fishing pier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #4
Chuck v

Good article here about triple towing:
https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...triple_towing/

Looks like at least 28 states allow this...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:10 AM   #5
thesaylors2004

Thank you much that was helpful.
thesaylors2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:09 PM   #6
Oldflyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaylors2004 View Post
Anyone here tow a trailer behind their camper trailer? Like a golf cart or maybe a boat ? I see a lot of them on the roads but checked and some say it's illegal to tow two trailers, and some say if it recreational it's legal?
I think it is possible but only behind a mounted hitch such as a 5th wheel. Those you can tow beh9nd but a bumper hitch is not allowed.
I think.......
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Haltom City, TX
Oldflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:35 PM   #7
Chuck v

Flyboy,

Conjecture about towing laws is a very poor way to determine the rules. Most states that allow 3 vehicle combinations have some limits on overall weight but only a few constrain the vehicle type. Here is a good reference:
https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...eID=1195129#TN

In the above list, here is a state that DOES limit to a fiver followed by a watercraft, ATV, etc. (pretty specific if you ask me...)

MINNESOTA
  • Maximum RV width 102 in.
  • Maximum motorhome length 45 ft
  • Maximum trailer length 45 ft
  • Maximum RV height 13.5 ft.
  • Maximum lengths for two/three combinations 75/70 ft.
  • Three-vehicle combo must be a fifth-wheel trailer, maximum length 28 ft. + watercraft, ATV, motorcycle or snowmobile. Riding allowed in travel trailers, fifth-wheel trailers and truck campers.
Chuck

Old 06-25-2022, 02:50 PM   #8
Oldflyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Flyboy,

Conjecture about towing laws is a very poor way to determine the rules. Most states that allow 3 vehicle combinations have some limits on overall weight but only a few constrain the vehicle type. Here is a good reference:
https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...eID=1195129#TN

In the above list, here is a state that DOES limit to a fiver followed by a watercraft, ATV, etc. (pretty specific if you ask me...)

MINNESOTA
  • Maximum RV width 102 in.
  • Maximum motorhome length 45 ft
  • Maximum trailer length 45 ft
  • Maximum RV height 13.5 ft.
  • Maximum lengths for two/three combinations 75/70 ft.
  • Three-vehicle combo must be a fifth-wheel trailer, maximum length 28 ft. + watercraft, ATV, motorcycle or snowmobile. Riding allowed in travel trailers, fifth-wheel trailers and truck campers.
Chuck
Chucky,

I am glad the know about Minnesota law. That is just one state. I know that Iowa allows it. Limits, I know not. It is poor conjecture on your part that you think that the OP would just jump out and pull something without checking based upon your experiences in Minnesota. I can guarantee you that Texas is waaaay different any any ways than Minnesota.

I was understanding that the OP was asking if people do it or not and advice, NOT if it was legal or not.

That would take more time than you or I have to figure out.
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Haltom City, TX
Oldflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:35 PM   #9
Chuck v

Flyboy,

If you have a first name I can use to address you I would certainly do so, until I know more I will just use what can be derived from your user name...

My own user name is Chuck V, and I always sign my post as Chuck so you should not have any ambiguity on the name (maybe the font is set too small on your computer screen...)

Yes the specific example I gave above was the one instance that I could find where two vehicle towing was constrained to have the first item to be a fifth wheel, and this was in direct reply to your "only behind a mounted hitch such as a 5th wheel" comment. I did include the link to the whole list that Good Sam published about all the states that allow any sort of three vehicle combinations -- maybe you did not access that link to learn more.

Post #5 in this thread indicates that the OP did find the information linked in my earliest post was helpful to him, and hopefully the second link posted was as well.

Sorry for any confusion in my using the term "conjecture" which was in direct response to your having said "I think..." when describing what laws might have applied. Yes the laws can be quite specific by state and can change at any time -- and I trust that the OP will be thoughtful in finding out specifics, having already expressed curiosity about the topic on this forum...

By your signature I see you were a commercial pilot so I am confident that you are well versed in how rules and regulations can change. Thank you for your contributions to this forum, and for your interest in this topic. We are all here to enjoy RV life in general and to share where we can...

Chuck