Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2022, 10:00 PM   #1
elmerfud

Default Visa Water leaks!!

My 2012 Visa 19RGU (Now called Vista Cruiser) sprung leaks a year or two ago. I saw a few bubbles on the ceiling near the partial wall on the right side. Last year I poked at them and the ceiling was soft there. I thought I fixed the problem by repairing the thin (1/4") bead of silicone on the top side of the roof/side trim piece. A wood moisture meter recorded 85% humidity in the area a year later. The roof delaminated about 18" around the area and the ingress site rotted. I cut a substantial hole in the ceiling in 2 areas. I am in the process of drying out the areas. A tricky repair will be necessary.
My question is What the ?$&%@ seals the roof to the sides of a fiberglass roof and sides? 1/4" of silicone?????

PS: I have 14" by 3' of rot below the left side front marker light. That was caused by another 1/4" bead of silicone failing around the marker light. I sealed that a year ago too.
Check all your perforations in the skin of your campers annually or sooner. If a leak is detected, you MUST get the moisture out. NOT SEAL IT IN!!!
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:14 AM   #2
Life on the fishing pier

I have a 2021 Vintage Cruiser 23RSS and after 9 months found a leak around the rooftop AC. Turns out when the opening was cut the saw operator cut one kerf 1/4" outside the sealing area. I'm not sure why it took that long to start to leak but my thoughts were the small area was filled with dirt or leaf litter since it started right after I gave the roof a good scrubbing. I fixed it by filling the small area with good non latex silicone and making a larger AC seal. When calling Gulfstream about it they just said to take it in for warranty work. What did shock me and the reason for this long story is GS said ALL sealing areas were to be inspected twice a year and all sealant was to be replaced EVERY year. Yeah, right. I spend a good day checking all the lights, seams and other points finding two clearance lights that were holding water behind the lenses.