Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
jhan

Default Chassis Battery Dead after 2 weeks; reason?

Hi All,
I left my RV parked on my drive way while connected to an outlet in my garage. Thinking it would be charging ALL the batteries, I didn?t press the disconnect switch to the chassis batteries.
To my surprise, I could not start the RV after 2 weeks. Thank god for the switch to use the house batteries to start the engine.
I've did a bit of search on this topic. Most people recommend using Battery Tender to charge the chassis batteries while connected to shore. I am planning on doing that; maybe even run an 110V from the electrical bay to keep the Battery Tender in the the battery compartment permanently. But no one stated on the reason why or what was draining the chassis batteries.
Anyone has an idea? I didn?t disconnect the chassis batteries because I hate to reprogram the clock and time every time on the info center. And I can't imagine that would drain the chassis batteries.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default Battery

I have the same problem. My in dash raido ,GPS,CB and ? drain my chassis battery. The shore connect will not charge chassis battery. The battery tender works great when there is a shore connect, if not you have to use the disconnect switch for the chassis battery. BobnLiz
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
RayandPamTaylor

I had the same problem, I found that the cruse control was doing it, just make sure its turned off!
RayandPamTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
jhan

Thanks. I'll look into that.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
quikduk

Some add this little gem.

http://store.solar-electric.com/echo-charger.html

It is designed to "steal" a little power from the charging coach batteries and trickle charge the chassis batteries.

I haven't gotten one yet but it is on my short (actually very long) list of to-do items for the coach.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
RayChez1

Default Re: Chassis Battery Dead after 2 weeks; reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan
Hi All,
I left my RV parked on my drive way while connected to an outlet in my garage. Thinking it would be charging ALL the batteries, I didn?t press the disconnect switch to the chassis batteries.
To my surprise, I could not start the RV after 2 weeks. Thank god for the switch to use the house batteries to start the engine.
I've did a bit of search on this topic. Most people recommend using Battery Tender to charge the chassis batteries while connected to shore. I am planning on doing that; maybe even run an 110V from the electrical bay to keep the Battery Tender in the the battery compartment permanently. But no one stated on the reason why or what was draining the chassis batteries.
Anyone has an idea? I didn?t disconnect the chassis batteries because I hate to reprogram the clock and time every time on the info center. And I can't imagine that would drain the chassis batteries.

Thanks.
Have you chacked your batteries to see if they are good. Your batteries might be going bad. I had to change my chassis batteries on my Scenic Cruiser after three years of useage. But two weeks should not drain down any chassis batteries.
I had two Interstate Workaholics 31 series installed at CamperWorld in Las Vegas. It seems like they are holding up pretty good. They are a maintance free battery.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 02:39 PM   #7
Larrygmoody

Check your batteries. My 2004 Scenic Cruiser house batteries died within 10 minutes after unplugging from shore power. Turns out that all four batteries were bone dry!

They each took 1 gallon of distilled water to fill!

Just my 2 cents.
Larrygmoody is offline   Reply With Quote