Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
fungolfn

Default Adding Dish Satellite on 2021 189DD

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and looking for advice from 189DD or BH owners. My new 2021 189DD is prewired for TV/Cable with an external coaxial antenna plug. I just bought a new Dish Tailgater Satellite system to use during trips. Is there a modification that must be made to plug in the Dish Satellite and make it work on a TV we added? Plugging the Dish receiver into the TV/Cable prewired plug and using the HDMI from the received to the TV doesn't allow the satellite to connect.

Any help or experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated!
fungolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:37 AM   #2
Gregory

Do you have a receiver inside?
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:30 AM   #3
fungolfn

Default GS 189DD and a Dish Tailgater

I am wanting to plug the satellite into the pre-wired external cable antenna coaxial plug, plug the Joey receiver into the pre-wired internal tv/cable plug and then plug the internally mounted Joey into the wall mounted TV. The internal plug has a powered coaxial switch marked tv/cable. Is the something in the pre-wired tv/cable plug that prevents the antenna signal getting thru to the Joey receiver?
Old 12-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
fungolfn

I wanted to mount the Joey receiver inside.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
treetopguy

Most external cable connectors go to a distribution center that distributes the signal to various other locations.
I would suggest an independent coaxial cable from your satellite directly to the receiver, then you can take the cable out from the receiver to the distribution box. I recently replaced my old satellite dish with a tail gate model. this way I can mount it as normal on the roof, or if I have trees in the way, can take it down and put in another place.
One FYI, I have put a wireless hdmi system on my unit that is working great. the hdmi from the sat receiver goes into the transmitter, then any TV that I have put a wireless receiver(for hdmi wireless system) works great. I got away from the degraded original cabling that was producing poor video quality.
treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:35 AM   #6
UAHaerospace

the short answer: NO, the term Cable/TV indicates exactly what it's for - the outside signal from a campground CABLE in to your TV.

Satellite signals require a 'two way' powered routing, and therefore most any 'standard' cable/tv wiring will not allow for it.

The easiest way we've all found our satellite signal is the always run a dedicated coax cable DIRECTLY from the antenna to the receiver, however you choose to do that. Some will use a simple open window, others will find a slide seal to rout it thru, or even a roof entry thru a plumbing pipe chase.

If your coax connection on the outside of your RV does not say 'SATELLITE', then no, it's not designed for a satellite signal.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:00 PM   #7
fungolfn

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:31 PM   #8
Ldubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungolfn View Post
Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
X2 -- very helpful and I even understood about half of it! Haha
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #9
fungolfn

UAHaerospace was dead on target. I bought a ultra thin ghost cable and ran it thru a window. Now I connect to an outside coax plug to the satellite and on the inside a coax directly to the receiver. It worked perfectly.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:16 PM   #10
treetopguy

Default added suggestion

Great! glad you got it working! One thing I did was to run a coax cable underneath the dash and through the firewall. I keep it under the fiberglass front cap near bumper area. If I need to take my satellite off the roof, I use that connection as I place the dish somewhere with a good view of the sky.
Forgot to mention that my original coax from the roof comes down into the top cabinets above the driver, then I come down under the front window trim and then under the dash area.
treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #11
UAHaerospace

I have the 'old' KingTailgaterII, but I can also 'see' the operation of the antenna during movement: I simply take the dome cover off : ) It's MAGICAL!

Interestingly, too, I often take our Tailgater, Receiver, and even a 42" LG Tv when we go to visit our sons, who both are living in campers, as their 'dorm on wheels' while at college - I take a short coax, and a long coax, to then connect when I find the right place in the yard for the Tailgater - works like a charm, easy, and not really that much involved when you've done it hundreds of times!
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:17 AM   #12
MidTn37090

The cable from outside and the cable from the roof top antenna converge in the back of the coax connection inside. There is an electronic splitter/ amplifier combo on the back side of the face plate. This device will not allow satellite signal to pass through. To get around this, remove the box and figure out which cable is coming from the outside connection. Remove the cable from the splitter. Buy one of the plates from the link below or similar, then remove the coax jack from it. Drill a hole in your existing wall plate amp combo and insert the new coax jack. Connect your outside cable to the new jack, re-install the wall plate amp combo. Use the new jack for your dish receiver.

Now, on to other guidance. A joey will not work in your camper. You need a receiver called a Wally. It is stand alone and works with the portable dish's. You can add this to your account, leave it in your camper. You just have to wake it up from the Dish app if it's been awhile since you used it. It works well with the tailgater's and does what you'd expect.

https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-W...90659160&psc=1
MidTn37090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:29 AM   #13
Henry111

The satellite dish itself is great. This device was very easy to line up and worked flawlessly. I've got had several satellite units in previous motorhomes but until this one, they were all permanently connected. While a rooftop-mounted unit has certain advantages, it limits its effectiveness when camping in a vicinity partially blocked by the southern sky. This unit is simple to maneuver around and might be mounted on the bracket or in many cases attached to at least one of the cooling covers on the ceiling.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
189dd, dish satellite, satellite wiring