Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Burkejonathan

Default Tourmaster 07' 42', lights in main slideout won't work?

Purchased this coach last week, love it! But, the ceiling light won't come on in the living room slideout when you turn the switches on the hutch (on both sides) on. Checked all the fuses below the fridge, they are all okay.

Power to the desk below in the outlets works fine, but just not the lights over the couch, hutch, and dining table.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Jonathan

2007 Tourmaster Tripleslide Trio
24' Cargo Trailer
Burkejonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Tourmaster 07' 42', lights in main slideout won't work?

Is it a fluorescent light or what kind. If it is a fluorescent light you might have to change out one or both of the light bulbs. IF it is another type, THEN check to see if you have power to the light fixture.
It would not be a fuse because it would affect more then just one light. I have fluorescent lights over the sofa and I have had to change out the light bulbs at least once.

I am a little confused when you mentioned that the light does not work when you turn the light on in the hutch.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Chuck v

Jonathan,

What model of Tourmaster do you have? Mine is the 40C floorplan with the small desk between the front couch and the dining table/credenza at the rear of the large front slide. The 40B has the same arrangement on the large slide, and in each case there is a hutch of sorts on the wall where the desk extends towards the center of the coach. The desk and credenza are topped with the same Corian counter top material as used on the kitchen side of the coach.

On the rear side of the 'hutch' there are two rocker switches that control the chandelier over the table and the three puck lights over the top of the hutch. On the front side of the hutch is another rocker switch that controls the three puck light fixture over the couch/sleeper.

It is unlikely that all the bulbs in all the puck lights are burned out at the same time -- but do note that the chandelier has a rotary on/off switch on its base as well. In my coach I have replaced this switch with a special toggle that allows for dimming the lights there for a more "candlelight" effect... see my post from December of 2009:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1859

All of the overhead lights in the front living room slide are 12 volt DC lamps, and are fused through a 15 amp tab type fuse at location F#9 in the right most panel under the refrigerator on my 40C. Hopefully this is the issue with all your slide overhead lighting not working. If the fuse is blown, be sure to check each lamp for a possible short condition (happens sometimes when they burn out...) and clear that before you try another fuse. DO NOT use a larger rated fuse. Keep it safe...!

Let us know what you find.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Burkejonathan

Chuck and Ray,

Ours is a 2007 40C model also with the desk between the dining table and the sofa. I'll recheck the fuse below the refrigerator and check all the bulbs tonight and let you know what I find.

We really appreciate the speedy replies from both of you, thank you

Jonathan
Old 10-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
Burkejonathan

Checked the fuse as suggested and it was in good order. Checked the bulbs, all of them, two were toast and replaced them.

Still no love from the light god on the living room slide out. All the lights are out with all the switches for them in the on position.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. We're tired of indirect lighting while dining, lol.

On another note, in the main panel next to the bathroom where the tank gauges are located, at the very bottom of the panel, is a light switch placed horizontally with a light to the right of the switch that glows red when you turn it on. My question: What is the purpose of that switch???

Many thanks in advance once again.

Jonathan
Old 10-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
rescue7

The switch with the light on it is to turn the electric hot water element on. Do not turn this on without water in tank. It will fry the element.

Inside the doors under the table there is a cable connection box, you might look in there for a loose connection and also in the basement under the slide there should be some 12 v connectors. You can see the wires going into the slide. They must move every time the slide moves. may be a broken wire in that loom.

Don
Old 10-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Burkejonathan

I will look into those items today and report back this afternoon. Thank you Don.

I've started a Facebook Group for Tourmaster owners to more easily share and receive communications, such as on smart phones with an installed Facebook application. Pictures, especially, can be instantly loaded. I'll continue to post here also and cross reference posts. All Gulfstream Class A, b, and C owners are welcome obviously. )

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/423524024415896/members
Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Burkejonathan

I looked for a switch box under the dining table in the cabinets. No swithches of any kind found in the three cabinets.

Still haven't found the cause of the lights in the main slide to be out after checking for burnt out bulbs etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, any advice on how to do an oil change on the Onan 7500 generator would be appreciated. I have no clue where the oil filter or drain plug is. Lol

Many thanks,

Jonathan
Old 10-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
rescue7

Its not a switch box in cabinet it is a covered junction box near floor.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Burkejonathan

Thank you, I'll check there!

Jonathan
Old 10-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
RayChez1

I have the Onan 7500 Quit diesel, and to change the oil you have to crawl under the generator, look up to see a small cover. Remove the locking screw to expose the drain plug and filter. Then after you replace the filter which you can buy at Napa, then you add the oil for Diesel engines only. I use the same oil I use on the coach engine.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
bwc1950

Johnathon,
It sounds like you may have lost the power source to the light switches or all of the lights themselves (ie, the 12v hot wire to the hutch has come loose)

Under the counter is a cigarette lighter plug. Do you have power at the cigarette plug? If yes, and If you have an electrical tester, I would pull one of the overhead light switches from the hutch and test the wires at the back to see if there is power at the switch. If someone ever removed the hutch, it's possible they pulled the hutch away from the wall and in doing so, pulled the hutch wires loose.

And, another thought re the fuse. On the backside of the fuse panel, you could test to see if you have power coming to that fuse at the fuse panel, through the fuse, then out the other side of the fuse and off to the lights.
bwc1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
bwc1950

Also, I forgot to say that in the inverter compartment forward of the left front wheel are a ton of additional 12v fuses. You may want to check there also. I can't remember what all is in there, but I know the power seat, etc. fuses are in that compartment. There should be labels attached to the sidewall or attached to the inside cover of the fuse panel.

If you've already found the problem, I apologize for the late post. And if you did, I'd like to know what the fix was. Good Luck
Bruce.
bwc1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
Burkejonathan

Turned out there was a cut power line to the 12 volt line behind the main fuse panel underneath the refrigerator. Once fixed, lights are functioning normally.

Thank you all for the support, it is very much appreciated!

JB
Old 04-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #15
Chuck v

JB,

Were you really without slide room lights for 2 and a half years??? Glad to hear you got it sorted at last...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:29 PM   #16
Burkejonathan

I was indeed! Unbelievable eh?

JB