Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-28-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
hyall

Default Mercedes Benzs future in FreightLiner products

Rumor ( straight from the horses mouth?NOT speculation) that FreightLiner is re-calling ALL..repeat ALL chassis equipped with Mercedes engines! They will be re-engine?d with Cummins ISB motors.

Seems when CAT upped the cost of their motors because of the pollution control ?devices? that FreightLiner told them to ?take a hike?..and since Mercedes is also a subsidiary of Daimler ( just like FL is) then FL decided..??..to go with the Mercedes engine. Trouble is..the Mercedes CANNOT PASS THE EPA REQUIREMENTS!!!

Why this wasn?t discovered prior to the engine installation..??????

Freight Liner has been given a ?stay? to have time enough to swap them all out and has thus far replaced approx 250 engines. ( But they got a LOT MORE to do than that number???.. )

(On another point..also found out that ?Sach?s? shock absorbers is a subsidiary of Daimler also?)

My field reporter told me today that at the Gaffney plant..there is a HUGE field filled with ?red? Cummins engines ( still in the crates) and that FL has refused to receive any more of the ?silver engines? ( Mercedes)

When will the re-engine be totally fulfilled..?? Good question?
Will all owners be required to return to a location such as Gaffney? Good question?
When will owners be INFORMED of this ? Good question?

Hang onto your hats fellas...cause I predict this is going to get a LOT nastier before it gets a lot better!

This was from RV.net In the a forum
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
coolchas11

Well, this could turn out to be quite a nightmare! We have the Mercedes in our TM and the thought of going thru anything like you have described is not comforting. Maybe the information you got is incorrect....maybe. Tomorrow I'll call GS. Thanks, Charlie
Old 06-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

This is what was posted on another forum in regards to the MB engines:

"What I heard is the Mercedes engines have a software problem in trying to meet '07 emmissions. Apparently none have been delivered to FL since the first of the year. So FL is using Cummins ISC 360 to replace it in production. Maybe this is now a permanent change."

If that is the case, then I would think that they can get the problem solved with the software and get the engine certified for the new '07 emission standards, but maybe not.

Personally, I think that I would just want them to "buy back" my coach and I would get another. After all, some of us buy a certain chassis/coach combination for the engine.

Guess we will have to wait and see what the "official" word is from FL.

Sure glad I have a CAT!!

Anyone here have a Freightliner with a MB engine built after Jan. 1st 2007 when the new regulations went into effect??

I would think that would be the only ones effected.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
hyall

mine was builted in Jan 07 I will invest as much as possible in Lawyers if necessary to match what I have now with horsepowr and torque or total exchange I'm ready class action law suit comin
Old 06-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

hyall,

Is Jan. '07 the Freightliner Chassis built date or the Gulf Stream coach built date?

If it is the chassis built date then the MB engine would definitely fall under the '07 emission requirements I would think.

Ron
Old 06-29-2007, 06:03 AM   #6
hyall

Ron

Is there a location for the I.D.plate for verification. I bet the coach was finished in Jan and the Chassis somewhere in 06

there is a plate Gulfstream Jan 07 I picked the unit up end of February
Russ
Old 06-29-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
Larry Moore

It is the engine build date that would be in question
Larry
Larry Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #8
GStream40
Site Team

Russ,

On my present GS coach and my previous, they is a "sticker" label above the driver's seat on the wall between the driver's side window and the slideout. Mine is partially hidden by the windshield curtain.

On this label there is the GS serial number/built date and also the Freightliner Chassis serial number and built date.

Chassis built dates are usually 2 months or more behind the manufacturer coach built date.

On my present 2004 coach, the Gulf Stream built date is 11/03 and the chassis built date is 08/03 so the chassis was built 3 months before the coach body was finished on the chassis.

So if your chassis was built before 01/07 which definately the engine was, then the '07 EPA regulations should/would not apply to your engine, your coach is a '07 with a chassis built in '06 to '06 regulations.

If the information I received is correct and Freightliner has not used any MB engines in their chassis since '07 regulations went into effect then someone is crying wolf without the proper information. I really can't believe or see any chassis manufacturer installing any engine unless it met all the EPA requirements. It would be too costly and a stupid thing to do IMO.

Ron
Old 06-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
hyall

ITs not as bad as it seem be back on it later
Old 07-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
hyall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyall
We had a three way conversation with FreightLiner Rep and Gulfstream (Adam Smith) They explained that 07 coaches on late 06 chassis are not involve with the 2007 EPA standards , Now 08 coaches on 07 chassis will be affected abd the cure will be a software upgade (no replacing of engines)
Old 07-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #11
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
We had a three way conversation with FreightLiner Rep and Gulfstream (Adam Smith) They explained that 07 coaches on late 06 chassis are not involve with the 2007 EPA standards , Now 08 coaches on 07 chassis will be affected abd the cure will be a software upgade (no replacing of engines)
Thanks for the update. Most times the rumors crying wolf on the forums are untruth, such as having to replace engines, are just that, "rumors".

Usually they are some truth to them, MB engines not meeting '07 EPA standard, but then people starting adding their versions and rumors that others heard, next thing you know one is reading what was posted on a forum such as RV.Net many false reports and some claims that have seen the many coaches there to change engines.

Yep, One should never believe everything one reads on a forum, even if I post it.

Ron