Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
PMF

Default Hello from Georgia

Hello everyone,

We're presently full time in a 43' 5ver. We've decided to buy another house and a 32 to 34 Class A. So we're here to learn as much as we can. At the moment I'm looking at a 2008 Gulfsteam Independence 8327 diesel pusher. We're looking at many others so I hope to gain as much knowledge as I can.

Thanks,
Pat
PMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
althotos

Default 2008 Gulfstream 8327

I am looking at the specs for your 2008 GS 8327. Built on a Freightliner chassis just like mine. Looks like this has a smaller Cumminns diesel 6.7 L. Same horsepower, 300 hp, as my Caterpillar 7.2L, but much less torque - yours is 620 ft-lbs. mine is 860 ft-lbs. Allison automatic 6 speed, which is very good for economy - don't go over 65 and you'll get great mileage. Towing capacity is limited to 5,000 lbs, whereas mine is 10,000 lbs. - this is where the torque difference comes in. So, if you are not towing a full-size pickup truck or full-size SUV, you will be fine as most cars, crossovers and Jeeps fall into the 5000 lbs or less. Otherwise, it seems like a great MH at 33 ft., it will be very maneuverable and easy to park in most RV parks. Good luck and let us know if get the MH.
1999 Bounder 30E (traded 2018 on GF)
1997 Hornet 25 TT (sold 2003)
althotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
PMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by althotos View Post
I am looking at the specs for your 2008 GS 8327. Built on a Freightliner chassis just like mine. Looks like this has a smaller Cumminns diesel 6.7 L. Same horsepower, 300 hp, as my Caterpillar 7.2L, but much less torque - yours is 620 ft-lbs. mine is 860 ft-lbs. Allison automatic 6 speed, which is very good for economy - don't go over 65 and you'll get great mileage. Towing capacity is limited to 5,000 lbs, whereas mine is 10,000 lbs. - this is where the torque difference comes in. So, if you are not towing a full-size pickup truck or full-size SUV, you will be fine as most cars, crossovers and Jeeps fall into the 5000 lbs or less. Otherwise, it seems like a great MH at 33 ft., it will be very maneuverable and easy to park in most RV parks. Good luck and let us know if get the MH.
The one we looked at we didn't like. It didn't look like it was taken care of properly. That model isn't off our list so we're still looking.

Thanks for your reply,
Pat
PMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #4
UAHaerospace

that chassis, length, and engine powertrain is a great combination, just like my '14 Palazzo...and very similar to Forest River Legacy, Fleetwood PaceArrow, Winny Forza, Tiffin Allegro Red, and others...

the great aspect of these 'compact' diesels is the ease of maneuvering, with mostly a 17-18' wheelbase for turning-made-easy, backing is easier, the isb6.7L Cummins has PLENTY of power/torque, and most of all, GREAT fuel mileage - up to 12, or maybe even more, if you drive softly.

With most newer diesels, probably 2012 and up, you'll also probably see more robust INVERTER systems for 120v power when you are off-grid, providing power to all your outlets, Residential fridge, microwave, etc. Most have 4 - 6v House batteries for lengthy off-grid stays, and integrated battery chargers(so no 'Converter' as most RVs have).
Air bags also give you a smoother ride, and the comfort of dropping the coach chassis down for easier entry, and leveling.

Go for it...
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote