Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
offthewall

Default Very pleased with new 2008 B Touring Cruiser 5291

After reading many of the complaints on this board, I thought I'd post about our positve experiences so far.

We have only had our 2008 B Touring Cruiser 5291 for a little over six weeks now but have been on three trips. A two day weekend, a four day weekend and an eleven day vacation. Very immpressed with the build quality and fit and finish of the coach. In and out the coach seems very solid. Everything functions as it should and I AM picky. We previously had an Aerolite TT and the difference in quality is night and day. We have driven in two horrendous rain storms and been setup with all slides out in another two with no leaks or water issues at all.

I do have two issues though that I am working on. I had the front end aligned after the 2.5 hour drive home from the dealer. Toe-in was way out according to my mechanic. After the alignment, the coach drives much better but I am working with an excellent truck chassis guy on possible upgrades to the shocks and anti-sway bars to further improve the handling. I'll report back on these changes when implimented. The other issue is in the placement of the generator exhaust pipe. Why would the designers place this pipe on the huge rear overhang of the vehicle. It is the first thing that hits the ground. After tearing it off 4 times on the first day, I cut an inch off the pipe and fashioned my own bracket, giving me an additional two inches of clearance. The rather sturdy hitch receiver is now the first piece to contact the ground rather than a 1" exhaust pipe. I plan on installing small metal rollers on the hitch reciever so that contact will be with rolling parts rather than just the reciever itself.

Other than the handling and rear overhand issues inherit in the design of a 30 ft motorhome on a 208" wheelbase, we have been very pleased with the BTC.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
CharlestonKR

My wife and I are looking at the BT Cruiser 5291 GX2's. It's nice to see a positive comment on the BT Cruiser. I was wondering if yours was the Chevy or Ford. Also was wondering what other coaches you considered and if this is a coach you would definitely recommend to a newbie. I was just reading another post, about a Supernova, and they complained about the TV locations. How are they on the 5291?

Thanks,
Steve
CharlestonKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
offthewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonKR
My wife and I are looking at the BT Cruiser 5291 GX2's. It's nice to see a positive comment on the BT Cruiser. I was wondering if yours was the Chevy or Ford. Also was wondering what other coaches you considered and if this is a coach you would definitely recommend to a newbie. I was just reading another post, about a Supernova, and they complained about the TV locations. How are they on the 5291?

Thanks,
Steve
Ours is a Gulf Stream 2008 model year on a 2007 Ford chassis. We looked at just about every manufacturer at all the shows. Still happy with the 5291. The Tv locations seem pretty normal. One above the cab and the other in the bedroom at the foot of the bed.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Chuck Phillips

Default B-Tour 5291

We have a 2007 5291 on 2007 Ford chassis. When weighing this vehicle, we found the rear axle weight to be close to the chassis limit
(9,450 GAWR)with full gas tank, and full fresh water.
Upon contacting GS, they had us return unit to factory. They moved the generator to the front cargo area behind the passenger seat. This removed 300 lbs, from the rear axle, allowing us to have adequate storage capacity in the rear and eliminating the rear end drag at driveways, etc.
We also now can drop tire pressure to 70 lbs. providing a softer ride without damaging tires.
We also had Billstein Shocks installed......improved handling tremendously.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:17 PM   #5
rideaway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Phillips View Post
We have a 2007 5291 on 2007 Ford chassis. When weighing this vehicle, we found the rear axle weight to be close to the chassis limit
(9,450 GAWR)with full gas tank, and full fresh water.
Upon contacting GS, they had us return unit to factory. They moved the generator to the front cargo area behind the passenger seat. This removed 300 lbs, from the rear axle, allowing us to have adequate storage capacity in the rear and eliminating the rear end drag at driveways, etc.
We also now can drop tire pressure to 70 lbs. providing a softer ride without damaging tires.
We also had Billstein Shocks installed......improved handling tremendously.
Lucky you, I have the same model, of course it's 2023 now. Mine is at rear capacity with just a full tank of gas. I sure can't fill the water and all my clothes and still be legal. What a bad joke these manufactures are.
rideaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote