Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Rv12

Default SN 6400 Skid Wheels

Was tired of the rear skid digging into the street when I drove up my street. Created a mount with two skid wheels that bolted right up to the rear skid mount...no welding required...and it works great. No more ruts in the road and the wheels just glide over the road. Not sure why this is not included in the original design. Love the RV, but was frustrated when the rear skid dug in the road. All of that is gone now. Love it.
Rv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Wondering if you used the rollers or casters, and which diameter?
Old 06-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
Rv12

Used two four inch caster wheels mounted to metal plates I fabricated and bolted to the rear hitch. It works great and has made a huge difference on the rig.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
Rv12

Here is a pic of what I fabricated. Will take better pics later this week. From this pic you can see how there are two wheels that roll along the ground...and no welding required. Everything bolts to the rear skid mount. It works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (391.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #5
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Looks good if the wheels hold up; have not seen similar design; have seen some with casters, some w/ solid steel rollers without casters; have debated ordering for mine, but (most) of my drag was broken hangers on tailpipe, and GEN muffler. I suspect if you have trouble, it will be dragging while in a turn, and the side thrust will bend it sideways. Looking at local casters, haven't found any over 600#, which is probably a waste of money and would disintegrate the first time they hit. I see some on internet, but delayed so far...
Old 06-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #6
Rv12

The caster wheels are working great. Utilizing two wheels spreads out the load. When I go through a dip in the road I go slow so that the sides do not tilt. I recently found 4 inch caster wheels that are 2.5 inches wide and have roller bearings with a grease fitting on the axle mount. I used 1/4 inch plates on each side, which gives it plenty of stregth to support the weight. I am very pleased with performance of this set up. My neighbors are happy that the rig does not cut up the road and the set up actually looks as good as it performs. I was happy to engineer a solution without welding anything to the rig. A simplistic solution that works. Will post pics once I change out the wheels. For now We are just enjoying the RV as we see different parts of the country.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv12 View Post
The caster wheels are working great. Utilizing two wheels spreads out the load. When I go through a dip in the road I go slow so that the sides do not tilt. I recently found 4 inch caster wheels that are 2.5 inches wide and have roller bearings with a grease fitting on the axle mount. I used 1/4 inch plates on each side, which gives it plenty of stregth to support the weight. I am very pleased with performance of this set up. My neighbors are happy that the rig does not cut up the road and the set up actually looks as good as it performs. I was happy to engineer a solution without welding anything to the rig. A simplistic solution that works. Will post pics once I change out the wheels. For now We are just enjoying the RV as we see different parts of the country.

Can you point me to the 2.5 inch wide casters? I am going to try to fab a set for my coach.

Sudsy