Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Big Al - Boston

Default Buying used Sun Voyager

I am looking at a 2005 29' Sun Voyager class A with 7,000 miles. I am new to rving and I am not sure what I should be looking for. It looks clean and well maintained. Does anyone own this model and have any concerns that I should be aware of. What kind of mpg can I expect with a Ford V10. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
Big Al - Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Keys Cruiser

Check all the walls and ceilings for signs of leaking (including the slides). Also, check underneath the slide outs for any signs of soft wood etc...

The obvious as well... check all the lights, have them start the fridge in advance, check the tires (especially the side walls) for dry rot. Ask for a review of the maintenance log even though it will likely be brief.

Try all the electronic components, TV, Stereo, satellite if there is one...

As for fuel economy... don't get your hopes very high. Just know that the faster you go, he worse your mileage. I would guess you will get 6.5 to 7.5 mpg.. just my guess. Thats what I use to get with my 31' Holiday Rambler Class C with the the Ford V10.

Enjoy
TOAD: 2007 Mustang Conv.
Islamorada, FL
Keys Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Keys Cruiser

Check all the walls and ceilings for signs of leaking (including the slides). Also, check underneath the slide outs for any signs of soft wood etc...

The obvious as well... check all the lights, have them start the fridge in advance, check the tires (especially the side walls) for dry rot. Ask for a review of the maintenance log even though it will likely be brief.

Try all the electronic components, TV, Stereo, satellite if there is one...

As for fuel economy... don't get your hopes very high. Just know that the faster you go, he worse your mileage. I would guess you will get 6.5 to 7.5 mpg.. just my guess. Thats what I use to get with my 31' Holiday Rambler Class C with the the Ford V10.

Enjoy
TOAD: 2007 Mustang Conv.
Islamorada, FL
Keys Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
RayChez1

I used to have a 36' motorhome with the V-10 and it got around 8.5 miles per gallon. The Ford V-10 is a very good engine, with plenty of power.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
03heritagerider

Welcome to RVing Big Al,

First, take it for a LONG test drive. Find some hills, turns and rough roads to experience the feel.

We had a 29' 2000 Hurricane Class A with the V10. Around Pennsylvania and the Appalachian Mountains here in the east, and the Rocky Mountains out west, it got between 6 and 7 mpg towing a car. In the mid-west and plains states it got between 9 and 10 mpg. I almost always keep the speed at 55-65 mph. Never be in a hurry to get anywhere. It increases the risk and fuel costs. The only thing I didn't like about driving the V10 model was the interior noise from the up-front motor.

I would also fill the water tank to check for leaks in the tank and the water system. Using the unit's fresh water pump, run the sinks, toilet, shower, and if so equipped, the outside shower & spigot, ice maker and washing machine. Then, hook up to a hose and check the same systems using the city water connection. Find a place to open the sewer drain valve to be sure the black and gray tanks will empty.

Operate the electrical items like A/C, TV, microwave, dryer etc. using the generator as the power source. Then repeat the process connected to shore power. And if equipped, do it all again using the inverter. The inverter may not have the power to run the A/C, microwave or dryer but should run everything else.

Make sure there is propane in the tank and run the furnace(s), stove/oven and water heater (if water heater is dual function, check for operation on both electric and propane). Give all of the gas appliances the "sniff" test for leaks.

All of this info will surely give you a headache, but after a few trips, it will become second nature.

Whenever you have any questions, this is the place to ask. someone will know the answer or know where you can get the answer. I've learned more from this forum than from any other source.

Have fun, be safe and GO!