Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-22-2020, 11:09 PM   #1
green_plaid

Default Ordered a 2021 199DD...few newb questions

First post! So put a deposit on a Ameri Lite 199DD and trying to figure out what the hitch coupler height is...is there a good approximate number I can go by? I have a 2020 Odyssey and it has a low hitch height of 12.5" so I'm not sure which WD hitch I should order and that would help immensely!

And yeah...its cutting it close as far as tow capacity but it should do since we are a light family in both packing and height/size. As of now it looks like with all were planning we will not be exceeding the GCWR of 8565 for our van.

Anything else I should be looking out for before my first trip? Never owned a camper before but I've also watched my friend rip apart a 2019 Jayco Jayflight SLX to the studs to rebuild to his tastes...and yeah...its something. I'm that extreme with home projects but I wanted new to keep it simple.

All help is appreciated!
green_plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:04 AM   #2
Gregory

First, with a 3,500 lbs. tow capacity, an Odyssey will not pull that trailer. Just weighed my 199DD ready for camping and I was 3,300 lbs. at the axle and over 9,000 lbs.total. Probably 3,800 lbs. for the trailer. I have a 2017 Pathfinder with 6,000 lb.capacity and it isn't enough to comfortably pull this trailer. Only trailer safe to pull would be an aframe.
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
green_plaid

Not too worried about the Honda. We aren't going cross country so it will be fine. Also hard to compare a Pathfinder to an Odyssey. Before I got my 2019 Nissan Murano I looked at getting a 2019 Pathfinder for towing and I did read that the engine is fantastic but the CVT for towing is not so much. Eventually I will get a better tow vehicle but not for a few years.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
green_plaid

Well as suspected the van worked quite well but gas mileage at 12.5 for the trip was quite a hit! Engine is definitely capable but not sure about the new 10 speed yet....its a honda design and well honda has not ever put a trouble free trans in the Pilot/Ridgeline/Odyssey as of yet so time will tell.

Problems to date...

Neutral wire for stereo and booster was not connected...and a few others were loose so I rewired the entire fuse/breaker panel

Stereo wired completely wrong...speakers tied together so in parallel...and only used the left channel for both inside and out. That was just laziness.

Booster is wired backwards so when you turn it on you lose signal

Drawer had 4 holes drilled for the handle and it was still not even close to straight

Door super hard to latch

Switch panel has a few female connectors that need attention

Tongue jack definitely needs washers under the bolts...upgraded to grade 8 and added

Under side has some rips...special tape ordered

All good though....everything fixed and still no regrets. Just making some enhancements now such as a bunk ladder, stereo upgrade, TV install and whatever else crosses my mind till our first trip comes up in a few weeks.