Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
Dieldrin

Default 1999 198BH Refrigerator Gas or AC?

I bought a brand new 1999 198BH. (edit* I am the original owner bought from a dealer in april 2019)

Any documentation I find says it should have a fridge that runs on gas or AC.
Mine came with an AC only refrigerator. (edit* its an everchill fridge)

Can anyone confirm what fridge came in theirs.
Im wondering if I got dupped...

(edit* I beat the hell out of the dealer over the price and they tried to sell me a 3 way fridge just after signing it over to me, I've been dry camping for 35 years and had electric for the first time last week and the fridge is a real nicety, anyway just wondering if the AC only is standard equip....)

FYI is the under counter fridge.

Thank
Chris
Dieldrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
UAHaerospace

don't know what you mean, but if you're saying that you're NOT the original owner and you 'think' it's only 120v, then it's likely the former owner simply changed it out for a 'regular' one, which many of us have done since we either don't want to rely on propane, or are plugged into shore power all the time and don't need a 2-way fridge. 120v fridges have a lot more room versus an RV fridge, too.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
UAHaerospace

I'm confused, too, by the 'brand new' and '1999' in the same sentence...
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
atreis

Everchill makes 12V refrigerators, so it's neither AC nor gas, but 12V. Standard equipment is a 3way refrigerator, so the previous owner changed it out. Incidentally, I use a different brand 12V Danfoss compressor refrigerator in mine, and have 320 watts of solar to power it and other 12V systems. It's possible the previous owner did something similar.

Advantages to a compressor refrigerator: A LOT more energy efficient, can run it off solar, holds temperature a lot better, a lot less condensation inside, and temperature throughout the refrigerated space is a lot more consistent. The primary disadvantage is cost.

Advantages to the usual sort: Cost, and they can run off propane (but 12V still required for electronics and gas valve, which take almost as much power as a good Danfoss compressor refrigerator without a freezer).
Old 07-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
Dieldrin

Thanks for the feeback guys, I contacted gulfstream, the stock Everchill refrigerator is 120 only, I'm going to look into an inverter, looks like it runs at only 60W
Old 07-31-2020, 12:07 AM   #6
green_plaid

I started out looking for a 198bh but settled on a 2021 199dd that has the larger fridge that can run off of propane. No regrets so far. Interestingly enough...i got a way better deal on the 199dd...$12900 plus tax. Battery and full propane tank included. I didnt even have to negotiate the price as they were the lowest nationwide.
green_plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:24 AM   #7
Dieldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_plaid View Post
I started out looking for a 198bh but settled on a 2021 199dd that has the larger fridge that can run off of propane. No regrets so far. Interestingly enough...i got a way better deal on the 199dd...$12900 plus tax. Battery and full propane tank included. I didnt even have to negotiate the price as they were the lowest nationwide.
Ive been camping for 36 years, I love getting lost in remote areas, for me thats what its all about.
Two weeks ago was the first time I ever camped in a place that had water and electric (Jellystone for the kids) WOW what a luxury.
I ususally have a cooler for food and a cooler for beer, I loved the Fridge, so much easier not having the second cooler. Not to mention the wife appreciated the AC overnight.
That being said I'm tring to figure out if I can run my small AC fridge off of my batteries and an inverter topping the batteries off via solar. Rather than dropping $1k on a 3 way fridge

The reason I was asking about the fridge is because I really beat up the dealer when I bought the camper, we had words, I thought they might have switched out the fridge and tried to sell it back to me. Just to stick it to me.
I took the camper brand new and had them install a weight distribution hitch with sway control for $11K out the door no tax no registration fees, $11k period. After the paperwork was done they were installing the WDH and they were teaching me the ins and outs, they tried to sell me a 3 way fridge and installation... I didnt think much of it then because I was strictly dry camped all my life but in hindsight I wouldnt put it past them...
Old 08-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
DolceFarNiente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieldrin View Post
I bought a brand new 1999 198BH. (edit* I am the original owner bought from a dealer in april 2019)

Thank
Chris
Can you explain what you mean by a "brand new" 1999 model camper? Certainly it hasn't been sitting on the dealer's lot for 20 years, so I assume you mean "new to me."

The 120 v compressor fridge would be unusual in a unit that old, so my guess would be a previous owner swapped out the original.
DolceFarNiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:56 PM   #9
Dieldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolceFarNiente View Post
Can you explain what you mean by a "brand new" 1999 model camper? Certainly it hasn't been sitting on the dealer's lot for 20 years, so I assume you mean "new to me."

The 120 v compressor fridge would be unusual in a unit that old, so my guess would be a previous owner swapped out the original.
whoops, 2019 haha i missed 20 years