Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
Johnny Boy

Default Tank size?

I have a 2007 Crescendo 8386 and the brochure stated I have 90 gallon black and 90 gallon grey tanks yet the most I cant put in is 60 gallons in the black tank and 60 gallons in the grey tank using a water hose meter and filling them with fresh water before the tank meter says its full? Is this normal?
Johnny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
I have a 2007 Crescendo 8386 and the brochure stated I have 90 gallon black and 90 gallon grey tanks yet the most I cant put in is 60 gallons in the black tank and 60 gallons in the grey tank using a water hose meter and filling them with fresh water before the tank meter says its full? Is this normal?
I have never heard of such big black or grey tanks. My Scenic Cruiser has a 45/55. Most manufacturers their logic is if you have a 100 gallon fresh water tank, the two grey and black together will total 100 gallons. 90 gallons would roll somebodies eyes. LOL!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
Dennis4809

Our Friendship carries 100 gal fresh with both black and gray at 75. Never really measured them but we can dry camp for extended period with these tanks.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:15 PM   #4
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
Our Friendship carries 100 gal fresh with both black and gray at 75. Never really measured them but we can dry camp for extended period with these tanks.
Seventy five each or total. I am positive they are not seventy five each. Your coach and mine were both Flagship for Gulf Stream and I know it would not be seventy five on each tank. Check it out.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
Dennis4809

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
Seventy five each or total. I am positive they are not seventy five each. Your coach and mine were both Flagship for Gulf Stream and I know it would not be seventy five on each tank. Check it out.
Gulf Stream says yours are 40 each but the Friendship’s are 75 each. Scroll at the link to read the specs.

https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/medi...ndship-G-7.pdf

https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/medi...ic-Cruiser.pdf
Old 11-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #6
Chuck v

My 2007 Tour Master had 75 gallon tanks for both the gray and black storage, with 100 gallons for the fresh water tank. Here is a chart for the 2007 Crescendo which shows similar capacities for the holding tanks and a little less for the fresh. The FRED models have smaller tanks everywhere...

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: png crescendo specs for 2007.png (22.9 KB, 8 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
RayChez1

Looks like a manager for Gulf Stream was wrong when he told me that the holding tanks would equal total to what the fresh water tank held. I believe his name was Creech. So maybe 90 gallon holding tanks might be right on the original poster.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #8
Chuck v

Ray,

Which model of Friendship do you have? One of the 2002 models did have smaller tanks, but the other two had the characteristic 75/75/100 gallon configuration of the full sized Gulf Stream diesel pusher coaches as seen below. Is your coach the model 8362 with the smaller tanks?? The 8362 has only one furnace, whereas the other two have dual furnaces like my 2007 Tour Master had...

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: png 2002 Friendship spcs for 2002.png (196.1 KB, 10 views)

Old 11-24-2020, 01:18 AM   #9
RayChez1

Chuck, I have the 8402 Scenic Cruiser, but I know I had to replace the water tank which looked like a big water mattress and it was 100 gallons of fresh water, but I really thought that I had a 45 and a 55 grey and black tanks. I never have seen those, all I know is that I can only go about ten days, then I have to dump them. But Creech who was in management with Gulf Stream many years ago told me that the black/ Grey tanks would be total to what the fresh water tank would be normally.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #10
Dennis4809

I think the tank size theory varies among manufactures and even within the models. Most of the Monaco’s I’ve looked at, black and gray total the fresh. However on the larger Tiffin models, they carry 100 gal fresh, 100 gal gray and 55 gal black. Or in the luxury coaches, they just have fresh and waste. No distinction between black and gray.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #11
Chuck v

Ray,

Sorry I posted the Friendship plans rather than the 2002 Scenic Cruiser ones. Since your coach is a 8402, it does indeed have the 100/75/75 capacity tanks. That information is now attached below. I am not surprised that you can't go much longer than ten days, even on these larger tanks.

On my Tour Master with the same size tanks, I made a regular habit of draining the tanks on a weekly basis as follows:

At a park hookup while full timing, the gray valve is left open while the black valve is left closed. This allows all the shower and kitchen use gray water to be dealt with immediately during the work week. On Saturday I close the gray valve and do several loads of laundry along with that day's shower which fills the gray tank over 3/4 capacity. Then I drain the black tank, followed by the gray tank to flush out the hoses, etc. During the draining of the tanks, I also use the built in tank flush spray to assist in fully cleaning the tanks. At the end of all this, I re-close the black valve and am ready to start the weekly cycle over again.

In winter when the temperatures are below freezing, I do not leave the gray valve open, as a trickle of water in the hose can freeze and build up to an ice dam. I then drain the gray tank as often as needed during the week, but repeat the Saturday process as usual.

If I were traveling or dry camping, then the tanks would be drained before each disconnect or in the case of dry camping when arriving back at a hookup. Obviously the tanks cannot be too empty, but they can be too full. The only thing to watch out for is to have enough water in the gray tank to properly flush the hoses and fittings immediately after draining the black tank. The built in tank wash/rinse capabilities on the Tour Master is very helpful in all of this...

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2002 Scenic Crusier spcs for model 8402.jpg (148.4 KB, 1 views)