Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
Vamosa

Question Vista Cruiser. Any axle problems?

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

Previously owned 2004 Jayco Jayflight 29BHS. Looking to downsize with smaller vehicle rated at 3600 pounds towing.

Considering Vista Cruiser 19ERD, 2015 to current years, used or new. Looks good for weight. Features show that queen bed is north-south (no crawling over each other), and dinette has 3 panoramic windows.

We saw some older Visa models, but read a lot online about inner tire wear and bad axles. In fact, we viewed a 2011 model with exactly that problem. Used trailer dealer was "unaware" of the axle problem.

Is there any way to permanently correct the problem? Online blogs indicate that alignments, new tires, and new axle are only temporary fixes and that problem reoccurs.

Has the axle and tire wear problem been resolved with the model change from Visa to Vista designs?

Are there any other problems or quirks with the Vista units?

What features or options should we consider if buying new? (eg. electric lift, electric awning, bumper-mount barbecue, etc.)

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks.
Andrew

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3.6 L V6 Rated: 3600 lbs.
2014 Vista Cruiser 19erd.
Vamosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
RandyandRoxy

Was the 2011 that you viewed at Trailer Time in London ON? I've read about the same concerns online, and I'm wondering whether it's worth the 4 1/2 hr drive to see it.
RandyandRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
Vamosa

Yes it was at Trailer Time near London, Ontario. One owner with interior in very good condition. Did not do a thorough inspection though.

Inside tire shoulders were completely worn with no tread left. Outside of tire had reasonable wear. Likely related to axle problems of the Visa units. Upon talking with the dealer, he offered that the axle could be switched out for a new one at cost, but we would have to pay for it.

Dealer down the road suggested that some of the axle problem may be attributed to manufacture equipping trailers with bias ply tires rather than radials. The bias ply tires were more rigid and caused bounce that impacted both the axle and the tires.

Trailer also sits very low to ground with little ground clearance, (common to design in Visa model).

Andrew

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3.6 L V6 Rated: 3600 lbs.
2014 Vista Cruiser 19erd.
Vamosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
RandyandRoxy

Thanks so much for the info. Much as I like the design, I think I'll keep looking. You saved me a long day of travel and a lot of gas. Thanks!!!
RandyandRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote