Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
harmsworth

Default GulfBreeze roof and other problems

The roof of our camper is completely warped and rotten under the vinyl. The camper is 4 years old and we store it indoors in the winter. When we first questioned having the roof repaired when the camper was 1 year old we were told that the warranty was only for leaks. It was obvious then that the material they used for the sub roof was defective, it was all warped and you could tell that it was delaminating from what ever it should have been attached to. Now we are faced with a very expensive roof rebuilding. Also our tank level indicators all failed the first year we owned the camper. They all just show red lights regardless of the actual levels. There was also a piece of packing foam in our furnace when we turned it on the first time. The foam burned and filled the camper with toxic smoke. When I removed the access panel to get to the furnace I noticed more big pieces of foam laying around that had not been sucked into the furnace yet. This neglect on the part of the builders had the potential of killing my entire family. The furnace can no longer be used. Unfortunately we first tried to use the furnace in our 3rd year so we have no warranty on that anymore. Over all I would say that this camper is the worst made American product I have ever purchased.
harmsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
rene

Quote:
Over all I would say that this camper is the worst made American product I have ever purchased.
Hear, hear!
2007 Conquest 275FBS and sold.
rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
IOWA HAPPY CAMPER

WOW ,,,, was it leaking the whole time ,4 years? didnt your dealer prep your unit out and do a walk thru with you?

sounds like some one dropped the ball?

our 29bhs as been one of the best units we have owned, a good dealer makes all the difference

who did you buy it from?
IOWA HAPPY CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
harmsworth

We still do not see any leaks inside. That is the problem. Water is getting under the roof some how, but until it get into the living space it is not considered a leak. And yes we did do a walk through. We have maintained the outside of the roof regularly, making sure all the caulking was in good shape etc. Its almost as though they used cardboard for the sub roof. The material under the vinyl is coming apart. The roof is all lumpy and soft. This started after the first season and is getting very bad now. You cannot even lean on the roof when you do the maintenance. I will try to post some pictures soon.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
harmsworth

The dealer is irrelevant, they did not make the camper. The dealer was very good during the sale. They are called Flag RV and they had the camper all ready for camping when we picked it up. We bought the camper outside our state. So we needed to find authorized repair center in NY. When I contacted the manufacturer they told us that if no water was coming in to the camper that the roof was working the way it should and that no warranty service would be applicable. The usual run around is what we got.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
IOWA HAPPY CAMPER

Default look into this

I might know why your roof is soft,,,,,,, some vinyl roofs have a felt lining on the bottom side of them,,, it can act like a wick and pull the moister up ( like a lantern does ) I know Jayco has or had a big issue with this type of vinyl roof from 05 to 08 ,,,, weather GS uses this type, i have no idea... something to look into,,,,,, as for your furnace that was a big mistake of the dealer not catching it,,,,, as they where the first ones that put LP in and fired up the appliances ,,,,, especially the furnace,,,, as they all need to be ran to burn off the oil on the outside of the combustion chamber ......
IOWA HAPPY CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
Timothy

The roof the Iowa HC is talking about is called TPO (thermo plastic overlay) and the information he provided is correct. If this is what your camper has I think it would be covered by the manufacturer.