Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
PapaLJ

Default Baggage door latches and locks

Hello everyone, we just picked up a 2004 5210 coach and are looking forward to hitting the road soon.
We are the 3rd owners of this unit but I suspect that the 2nd owner did a lot of tailgating at football games. This has led to many of the latches and locks on the cargo doors being very corroded. Ohio winter road salt does play havoc on them.
Does anyone know what size latches these take? And any tips on removing them would be appreciated also.
PapaLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
Colorado350

Welcome to the Forum. Post up some pictures.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
Sundancer268

On my 1995 Scenic Cruiser, GS used Southco locks and latches, I have replaced all of mine and had the keying changed at the same time to get rid of the CH-751 key they all came with.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
CAP

Welcome to the forum
I replaced the locks on my BT 5291 bays right after I bought it. I got them at the locksmith and they are all the same key. The original keys are universal and just about every service place has one. I had a service guy ask me for the key and I asked him what for. Seems he was "looking for the water shut-off" mine is in the coach in the closet......makes me wonder just how honest these guys are....scary.
He didn't get the key Enjoy your travels.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
RayChez1

I believe mine are from Southco also. But I found out that if you are the type that likes to slam the compartment doors like some that I have seen, there is a rocker arm inside the lock that is made out of pot metal and it breaks very easy. So what I done I went and bought a three foot length of steel about 1/8 inch in thickness and about one inch wide and I got the pot metal part, put it against the steel and traced it with a pencil. Then I just ground it into the same shape of the pot metal part. Made a hole where it mounts on and I have never had that problem anymore. I made several of that part to have extras incase, but steel does not break like pot metal. But I still do not slam the compartment doors. It is a bad habit some have.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baggage door, cargo door, locks and latches