Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #21
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad15 View Post
Hello all,
So I went and took a look at the rv in New York and it was in bad shap. With water damage and the fridge did not work so that one is out. I might take a trip to Florida to check out a 2003 friendship from the pictures it looks like the same thing inside. It has the same 8.9 Cummins and I found out it’s 1200 torque not like I previously said 860. I had the person send me more pictures and the roof seems to be in good shap with new roof seal 2 years ago. They said they took the rv to the dealer 5 months ago and had it 100% gone through while it was still under the warranty. It still has low miles of 47k and generator under 400 hr. With all maintenance records so it looks like they did take care of it. The clear coat is starting to peel off in spots but it’s to be expected on a 14 year old rv.
Thanks to everyone for their great information! It really does help out!
I would like to know if there is anything on top of what was already stated of what I should look out for on the friendship model.
Once again thanks for all the help!
Looks like it had water damage Ray.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #22
RayChez1

I did not know it was you interested on another coach. Yea! with all the floods back east I am sure there are lots of coaches with water damage. Got to be very careful.

Buying anything in the east coast is dangerous and could make a person suspicious of any coach, does not matter what brand.

I live in the desert of southern California so we never worry about floods. Not used to all that water damage. I have a son that lives in Miramar Florida and I am always kidding him about all the bugs and snakes all over that state because of all the water they get down there.

Good luck with your search on the next coach. Remember that the 5.9 Cummins had issues blowing up in the early two thousands, blocks that were stamped #53 made in Brazil. I blew two of them on Dodge Trucks. That is the ISB Cummins, then later on had friends with the ISL 400 that had wrist pin issues and were also blowing up the engines.

Caterpillar the only issue they had was with the C-7 originally that engine called for 24 quarts of oil when in fact the engine only required 19 quarts. The problem was that with excess oil the engine would blow it out through the breather tube some call it slobber tube. But once the revision letter come out and if owners took action to only put 19 quarts of oil, the problem was solved. Other then that Cat is a bullet proof engine that will last for ever.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:43 PM   #23
DandyDon

Actually it turns out the guy didn't go look at the coach, he simply got a few more photos. Didn't mention water damage when he responded to me by PM. If I get real interested I'll pay a professional to go over it.
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:14 PM   #24
Swiss Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
LOL! The Scenic Cruiser does not have a wooden frame. They were the top of the line of the Gulf Stream coaches. The framing on the house part is all aluminum on top of steel called cradle of strength. Swiss Man must be thinking of a different coach.
The 2005 Scenic Cruiser has a main frame of aluminum and in between this main frame is a wooden frame. For instance, the shower dome is screwed in a wooden frame and some other parts are made of wood in the roof. This wood will be rotten if the roof is for a longer time not properly sealed. I replaced the wooden frame in my SC due to a leak in the roof. So, once again: Be careful if you buy a SC with water issue. Can be dam expensive! If you do not believe, I am glad to send you pictures!
Swiss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #25
RayChez1

Yes Swiss Man, I was just looking at the super structure of the Scenic Cruiser for 2003 and it is as plain as could be that the framing is all aluminum, with steel around the driver and passenger. But there is some luan decking between the fiberglass roof and the framing. All coaches have that, but that is not part of the super structure.

I have pictures of the framing of the Scenic Cruiser and if you private me with your phone number or E-mail, I will be more then glad to forward it to you. I can not find a way to post a picture in this forum, but I can text it to who ever wants the picture which shows every piece of how the house part is put together on the Scenic Cruiser.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #26
Restorium

Quote:
Yes Swiss Man, I was just looking at the super structure of the Scenic Cruiser for 2003 and it is as plain as could be that the framing is all aluminum, with steel around the driver and passenger. But there is some luan decking between the fiberglass roof and the framing. All coaches have that, but that is not part of the super structure.

I have pictures of the framing of the Scenic Cruiser and if you private me with your phone number or E-mail, I will be more then glad to forward it to you. I can not find a way to post a picture in this forum, but I can text it to who ever wants the picture which shows every piece of how the house part is put together on the Scenic Cruiser.
Sounds like you are trying to share pics off your iPhone?
Click on the Copy I Cloud link.
Find this thread with your iPhone.
Tap on the message area. Then tap it again and paste the link.
BOOM you can share a pic.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #27
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
Sounds like you are trying to share pics off your iPhone?
Click on the Copy I Cloud link.
Find this thread with your iPhone.
Tap on the message area. Then tap it again and paste the link.
BOOM you can share a pic.

I do not have an I phone. I have a Moto Z-2 Force edition which is an Android
Not sure how to post a picture from my google photos. Took a couple of pictures off my original manual where it shows exactly how the house part is framed with aluminum tubing and there is some wood to give spacing between the aluminum and the fiberglass roof. There it also shows brick insulation which is laid right below the fiberglass roof cover. But it is as plain as could be that the framing is not wood, it is aluminum. Maybe on the lower class Gulf Stream motor homes they might have lumber framing, but I really doubt it.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #28
Sudsy

Quote:

Try sending the picture to yourself via email. Save it to a file that you remember and use that file to attach photos here.

Sudsy
Old 04-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #29
Sudsy

Default My 2005 Sun Voyager Brochure

Look here and you will find the construction details.

2005SunVoyagerweb.pdf

Sudsy
Old 04-05-2019, 06:50 PM   #30
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Look here and you will find the construction details.

2005SunVoyagerweb.pdf

Sudsy

That is it Sudsy: If Swiss Man was to look at the picture where it says cradle of strength, it gives a break down of how the super structure is formed, and if he reads line by line what it says, it is as plain as can be that the studding is all aluminum mixed with steel and lumber to separate friction points between the roof fiber glass and metal. Thanks for the link Sudsy! Swiss Man was saying that the studs for the house part was all lumber. Man that went out the door in the seventies on cheap motor homes. LOL!
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-10-2019, 02:46 AM   #31
Swiss Man

I am more than thankful of your pictures. It is allways helpful if there are pictures available. You never know! would you be so kind and send it to the mail: [email protected] Thanks in advance.
Swiss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #32
DandyDon

We're back on the east coast and still thinking of looking at this unit, however I'm puzzled about something. My 99 has a 325 hp Cummins and the 03 has a 400 hp cummins, however the Gulf Stream brocures show that mine has more torque. Can that be possible or are the brocures wrong??
Old 04-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #33
RayChez1

DandyDon: The brochure is wrong. The ISL 400 has 1200 lbs of torque at the wheel. The ISC has around 1000 lbs of torque at the wheel, but it could have slightly more, depends on the chip Cummins has on it. ISL has more torque, but there was a period where the ISL had lots of problems with wrist pins. Might want to check on that. Blowing one of them engines can cost a lot of money.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #34
DandyDon

Quote:
DandyDon: The brochure is wrong. The ISL 400 has 1200 lbs of torque at the wheel. The ISC has around 1000 lbs of torque at the wheel, but it could have slightly more, depends on the chip Cummins has on it. ISL has more torque, but there was a period where the ISL had lots of problems with wrist pins. Might want to check on that. Blowing one of them engines can cost a lot of money.
I have the serial number range and that'll be the first thing I'll check.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #35
Track29

Hey Brad & Dandy Don,
There was a Friendship 102 for sale in our area of Tennessee, it was in Crossville, Tennessee. Crossville is a huge Cumberland Mountain retirement area. Great price with low mileage. Google Search and see if it's still available.
Track29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #36
David pinkney

Hi there can you sent me a picture of your scenic cruiser house batteries connection.
I've wired my wrong.

Thanks David and Kim
205 887 2627
David pinkney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:08 PM   #37
David pinkney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad15 View Post
Hello everyone,
I am looking at getting a 2003 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 8404. My wife loves the inside (and so do I) and I like it has the big 8.9 400hp 860 ft.lb toque. I am just bummed and surprised that it does not have a side mout radiator??? It only has 23k miles and the generator only has 100 hr on her... can’t beat that! All tires are brand new, I know how expensive those tires can be. I would just like to know if this is an rv I should be looking into. Please post problems that you have had or what I should be looking at when buying a used rv. I know roofs are very important so how do these roofs hold up? Last rv was a 1999 safari Zanzibar. Worse mistake of my life! Just bought a lemon I guess worked fine for the first trip then just fell apart hahahaha. Had to sell it at a big loss.
Please post on here or call/text me I would like to know any news ASAP I don’t want this deal to pass me up.
Thanks everyone!
-Brad
Hi there can you sent me a picture of your scenic cruiser house batteries connection.
I've wired my wrong.

Thanks David and Kim
205 887 2627
Old 04-02-2020, 09:04 PM   #38
RayChez1

I sent you a picture of the way my batteries are connected on my Scenic Cruiser. Hope that will help David.

RayChez
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #39
David pinkney

Ray you saved my bacon and eggs. Thanks for your help with this battery issue I had if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have figured it out. Thanks for the pictures ,illustrations and over the phone help.
I call over 300 people and emailed hundreds
And you where the only one that could help me.
Thanks David and Kim Pinkney