Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-22-2022, 12:09 PM   #1
Wolfpack

Default Fuel Cost and Travel Plans

Has the recent run up in fuel cost impacted your plans?

It has mine. We were going to do a cross country tour this Spring/Summer but now I'm not so sure. Maybe still go but not tow the Jeep to reduce cost a bit. I'm a V-10 gasser, not a diesel pusher so it matters.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
Dennis4809

We considered postponing a trip planned for this summer to Alaska. After consideration, we decided that the additional fuel costs were small in relation to our getting older and potentially never being able to make the trip. Overall, the 6,000 mile trip will cost roughly $1,200 more than it would have a year ago.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:21 AM   #3
luanne.3553

Default Lu

We wintered down in FL. for 6 months...Now as our returning, 1st week of May. We do wonder what our diesel cost will be this year - as we have to drive all the way to Northern Ontario, Canada. The difference in the cost may be scary.
luanne.3553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:34 PM   #4
Bike Dr

We have been doing tons of upgrades and we have been in the cold long enough this year. In May I don't care if I have to take out a loan for fuel. We are out of here for a while. I agree it is ridiculous the price of fuel. We are just average hard working people who just want to play too. this does really put a clamp one our budget. I've estimated 300 gallons of fuel usage for this one trip so it's going to hurt for sure in a 41 ft class a pulling a 22ft in closed trailer with a car and motorcycle inside. I can't imagine the cost of a gas rig, I do feel sorry especially if you are towing. I'm afraid it's going to get worse before it gets better. I hope not!!
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:26 PM   #5
Chuck v

Bike Dr,

Not sure what engine is in your GS diesel coach, but my Mercedes diesel turbo in the Tour Master got noticeably better mileage at 60 - 65 when towing the MDX 4 wheels down. When not towing, it seemed that 70 was the sweet spot. The more you use it towing, the more you will know about what your best mileage speed is going to be.

To all those following this thread: Don't be made into a hermit by fuel costs, just plan accordingly and get out there and enjoy the country...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 04:53 PM   #6
Bike Dr

Different driving habits do help with fuel efficiency, but I get at best 8 mpg and that is true. With a c7 cat turbo deisel 350 hp,most will say they get way better but that is rarely the case in actuality I have a eco meter that tells the mpg and they are not always correct. Most 41' deisel pusher will average 6 to 8 mpg and 10 if you are lucky. That Is a factory un touched not turned up fuel systems..people have a tendency to get in there and turn them up or tune but then the damage starts, leave them be or ultimately no more then a small tune or program.. but my opinion is deisel is more efficient then gas
Old 03-29-2022, 05:36 PM   #7
Chuck v

I also got in the range of 8 to 9 MPG on the highway when towing at relative constant speeds, and less if mixed with 'around town' driving. And I further agree that diesel is going to be more fuel efficient than gas for large vehicles like these 40+ foot coaches.

I have been fond of expressing fuel use in terms of "ton-miles per gallon" in the similar way they rank fuel efficiencies for locomotives and ocean tankers, since talking in miles per gallon is obscenely biased for such large machines. For my coach pulling a 5,000 lb SUV and a typical weight of just under 30,000 itself -- that works out to be just over 150 ton-miles per gallon. A typical Prius gets the equivalent of 75 ton-miles per gallon as it weighs 1.5 tons and gets about 50 MPG...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:01 PM   #8
Bike Dr

Haha I have to agree! With the weight of the coach at 29,410 lbs and 7500 to 8000 the trailer weight, it is quite a few tons to move down the road, but buying this class a was an expected expense when you purchase a coach of this size. So I guess I'll just have to work a tad harder to make up the difference in fuel cost. We love our coach and selling is definitely not an option. But the rising cost for basically no reason is ridiculous! I see no reason for it we have plenty of reserve in this country but it always ends up on the consumer at the pump!

Tags
cost, diesel, fuel, gas