Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
purduepete2

Default Front CRT TV

Has anyone out there replaced their front CRT TV with a LCD or Plasma? I have a 2007 BT Cruiser 5291 B that I would like to convert the front TV to an LCD or Plasma with a cabinet like the one in the rear bedroom. I'm looking at reducing the weight upfront and gaining some extra storage. I emailed GS to see if they would do this upgrade in the factory, but got no response.

Any suggestions?

Pete
purduepete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
pccarter

Default Re: Front CRT TV

Pete
Any updates on your TV project? I'm in the same boat with the same rig.

Cheers
Old 03-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
purduepete2

I removed the Samgsung CRT and it's mounting base about 80+lbs. This opened up a large new storage area and made it possible to add fiberglass and styrofoam insullation to the front compartment. I mounted a piece of 3/8" plywood with a piano hinge to cover the opening. I mounted a Westinghouse 26" LED LCD 1080 HDTV/PC Monitor (Costco $239) directly to the plywood after cutting slots in it for the cable wiring. It opens up just like the rear bedroom TV for access to this new storage compartment. This TV consumes only 39 watts so I'm able to run it and the surround sound through a portable 300 watt converter ($19) plugged into the exhisting entertainment center cabinet DC portal.

I plan on lining the storage compartment with some light paneling when the weather improves. I'll also replace the plywood with a nicer cabinet door when I get a chance to pick one up at one of the RV salvage places up in Elkhart, IN.

It sure is great not to have the CRT bouncing around over our heads everytime we hit a small bump in the road.
Send me a PM if you want more details or if you have any questions about the upgrades we did to our 2007 GSBT Cruiser Model 5291B.

Pete
purduepete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
pccarter

Thanks for all the info Pete. Im diving into my TV conversion and I had some additional questions. What did you use to mount your TV to the 3/8" plywood? Did you purchase a bracket? I have found one that is super thin and I thought might work nicely...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LSI-Super-Thi ... gMethod=rr

Also, with the new TV wider than the opening, I am wondering where you put your hinge? Is it just the old opening that you fit he plywood into? Then I was wondering about swing clearances for the width of the new TV hitting the side A/V compartments.
Appreciate the extra info!

Cheers,
Patrick