Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
pacsmith

Default Dome lights not working on Visa 19

We are having trouble with the three dome lights that run down the middle. The kitchen switch is only turning on the light by the bed. The one above the table and outside the bathroom won't turn on. Took a meter to the wires and have nothing with every switch scenario. We are wondering if there is another switch we don't know about. Maybe I need to run another wire from the dime light that works....
pacsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
atreis

Default Re: Dome lights not working on Visa 19

I don't have a Visa 19 so can't comment as to whether or not there's another wall switch. Have you checked for a blown fuse in the power center?
Old 04-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
exjay

Start metering fuses or checking for tripped breakers. could also be a broken connection in the ceiling/wall going from the switch to the first light.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
pacsmith

Thanks. I have checked all the fuses and breakers. Pulled the lights down and checked the wires. Goo idea on the switch. I will pull the switch and check the pig tails behind.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
jol

Did you ever get to the bottom of why lights would not work? I know that I have found numerous loose connections in trailers that can sometimes just drive you crazy trying to find them. When we buy something such as TT or Motorhome I open power distribution panel/Invertor/Convertor and check all terminations for tightness. If they are lose they get hot. Then check all 120V outlets for same reason and if there is enough wire use screw down terminations instead of plug in ones, as a house we had did the plug in and lost power in half a kitchen. Glad I have a friend who is an electrician and told me to check load side of GFI and then if that was good see if they were using plug in on back and if so change them to screw down or wire nut and a pigtail to plug.

Rob
jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
pacsmith

No, haven't got to the bottom of it. Wires behind the switch were good. Neighbors complained about trailer in our driveway so had to move it back to storage. Really appreciate the advice. I was going to just tie into the light that works and rewire the other two since I believe all three should work on the same switch. If they are on separate runs then hopefully where they tie into the panel. Will update when we get it out of storage in a couple weeks.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
jol

Well I guess if the neighbor was worried about it they should of offered assistance. I know that you have done the removing lights, switches etc I like you would almost believe that they are as we called it "daisy chained" from power source thru the switch then from one light to another. I would not think they would splice midstream. I had an LED taillight on car dolly that the stranded wire was cut off when the crimp was put on it but to look at it seemed good, especially since the taillight worked but no signal or brake light. I notice that you stated that you were using a meter, best friend in electrical work. If I can think of anything else I will try and send it to you.
Jol
Old 05-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
exjay

With the lights pulled loose off the ceiling and switch off the wall Im wondering if your able to tug on the wires some to see any movement on the next lights wiring any? Also ohm out one wire to the next (if its possible and obvious) maybe detecting a break or cut in a wire? These things drive me NUTS!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #9
jol

Electrical problems can be a pain. Like I said though you are doing it the correct way, and the way I would do it. Have a friend who on his utility trailer he was refusing to use a meter and just looking at wires and after an hour or so came and borrowed one of the meters that I have and then said could I help. Ohmed out and found wire broken inside jacket. Hope it is found soon, those lights and wiring are not the highest quality I have ever seen.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #10
pacsmith

Got them to work! Thanks everyone for your help. As suggested I tested continuity through all wires since no voltage to additional lights in series. Continuity was good but everything just sloppy. Lots of electrical tape residual on the copper and frayed wires. I cut and stripped fresh wire and wire nut all back in place and it worked. Nothing very scientific but glad it was somewhat easy fix.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #11
exjay

Awesome!