Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
earljan34

Default WARNING "Dometic refrigerators"

Well Jan and I went out to the MH on Thursday to pack for the weekend and found the refrigerator not working checked the latest round of recalls on this model and found it was on recall but too late it's gone and Dometic will not help at all even though they never notified us, Seems that they stopped back in April putting in cooling unit's now every one is on there own all they will is put a shield on so it won't catch FIRE just a patch but not a fix for the problem!!!!!!
They want $1500 to put a cooling unit in or buy a new refrigerator not bad for being just 3 years old great company support!!!!!!
Just thought I would warn everyone about this so if you have a Dometic in your coach go to there web site and check so it won't catch fire!!!!!!

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
quikduk

Earl,

There are people/companies that can replace your cooling unit cheaper than buying a new fridge. You may have to remove it or possibly they can. I have some links somewhere and if I can find them I will post them. I do not know if any are in Rhode Island but some may be close.

You can also check on the IRV2 or Escapees forums for this info as I am sure many others are either in the same boat or have resolved the same problem.

Ken
Old 10-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
mfa

I think that is all their recall has been for any of their units that is past warranty -- putting in a shield so it won't catch fire.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
earljan34

Thanks folks, I ordered a new refrigerator from Camping World today cheaper than having a new cooling unit put in and it has a 3 year warranty instead of a 1 year on the cooling unit! Also free shipping of the unit right to my door, I think this was the way to go as it was cheaper and had a longer warranty. I even went for a larger refrigerator as I have the room with out making any modifications to the opening.

Thanks for the response
Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
chamberlain

Hello,

Just spent the weekend at a campground near the Pomona RV show and we had "RV Ready", Gulfstream Dealer, come from the show up to the campground to repair all of the Dometic fridges that where on the list. I belong to the Golden Bears Gulfstream RV club and we had 20 rigs in the campground ranging from 1994 up to year 2006 and about half of them needed the recall done. RV Ready worked on them most of the weekend and did a super job in giving us support.

Try them if your based in Southern California for service
Old 11-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
floridafamilyof5

I just received a recall letter on Friday about this very thing. I need to go check my fridge.....