Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
narrowboat

Default Locked out !

I am locked out of my RV ( Crescendo Fred ) was not locked, have tried both keys to get in but will not open.

Any idea's
narrowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Chuck v

I had the door lock on my Tour Master 40C fail to unlatch, even though the keylock and the remote electric lock were both actuating correctly. It was the latch mechanism itself that was the culprit, as it was finally worn enough to not travel enough to trip the pawl. I had to crawl into the driver's side window and open the door from the inside. Then I had to remove the door panel and adjust the turnbuckle that connects the exterior latch handle to the latch mechanism. Not much room to work in there and you do need to remove the lower window frame and loosen the upper one to get the door panel to move far enough back from the door itself to access the mechanisms. I bought a new latch and handle once I found the maker after a lot of on line searching -- but my readjusted turnbuckle setting was still functioning properly when I sold this coach late last year, so I gave the repalcement parts to the new owner in case the fault ever recurs. There is a thread in this forum about my door...I will try to provide a link.

Found it!! Here is the link with the part numbers of what I purchased for my coach...see the last two postings in the thread:
http://www.gsowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2387

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #3
narrowboat

Default Locked out of RV

Hi Chuck, Thank you for your reply. I guess I will have to get a window open, problem is the window catches are on, any ideas how to open without causing damage.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Chuck v

If your front driver window is a slider like mine, the window latch is most likely a quarter turn style. It is possible to use a thin tool like a spatula to get between the two glass panel (the fixed one and the sliding one...) and then engage the latch to move it enough to unlock the slider. I found that it is possible to use a large suction cup handle of the type used as safety grips in showers to get enough sliding force on the moving panel to move it to the open position.

You will have to remove the screen of course and the window is quite a distance off the ground so a good ladder is needed to get up there to wriggle through the opening. Maybe an agile teen or pre-teen is the right helper in this regard...I was able to do it myself at 73 years old but it was awkward for my 220 pound body to go through that window.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
narrowboat

Default Locked out of RV

Hi Chuck, I will certainly give the window latch a try, fingers crossed. I will let you know how it goes.