Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
narrowboat

Default Crescendo Fred, engine hatch

Hi Guys, can anyone tell me how to open the front engine inspection hatch.

The carpet is stuck fast around it, I am afraid the carpet will damaged if I pull to hard to get to the hatch.

Also has anyone fitted a larger wash basin in the bathroom, I would like to, the one fitted/
supplied is no bigger than a bird bath !
narrowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
RayChez1

Not really sure about a Fred Crescendo, but the previous coach was a gasoline motor home and the cover was held down with real long flat head screws which a person could not see because of the carpet. Maybe if you look real close it might have something like that holding it down.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
bmojmhs

On my gas Ultra Supreme, I gave 5 screws that hold down the doghouse. 2 on the firewall, 1 on each side and 1 at the inside end. They are just square head screws. Feel along under the edge of the carpet and you should be able to find them.

If you take the doghouse off, there is a gasket along the edge of the firewall. I did not have to replace it as it was still in good shape.
bmojmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Photobug17

I have a 2007 Sun Voyager on a Fred chassis. After talking to Gulfstream I was told that the hatch was only to be opened for a very serious repair. It is bolted down and to get to the bolts you have to peel back the glued down carpet. Most all repairs can be made from under the engine oe by removing the front passenger tire. I had thrown a serpentine belt and thought it would be easier to replace from the top, it actually was really easier from below. I never removed the hatch.
Photobug17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
bmojmhs

I had the doghouse/hatch off as it was/is cracked. They are typically made of fibreglass and I was ready to repair it with fibreglass. However when I took it off it was plastic. Of course it is very difficult to glue plastic. I glued it but I also made up and installed aluminum reinforcing strips across it to give some support so one does not fall through. It has worked to a point and I doubt I will try to fix it again.

I recently had the spark plugs looked at & the mechanic went in through the wheel well. One repair you may need to take it off for is the air conditioner compressor.
bmojmhs is offline   Reply With Quote