Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
03heritagerider

Default DirecTV Service when traveling

Many of you may already know this, but for those who don't...

See Biker Billy's post titled TAILGATER...

A few years ago, I bought three DirecTV receiver boxes from a guy at a flea market. He told me all I had to do was call DirecTV (my current provider) and register the boxes and they would add them to my account, thereby allowing me to have service in the house or the coach. They were only $5.00 each, so even if it didn't work that way I wouldn't feel too bad about loosing $15.00.

I did what he said and, at that time, was told that I had to add the boxes to my current account and pay an additional $6.00 per month, per receiver box, whether I used them or not. I would then be carrying six receiver boxes on my account (We have 3 TV's in the house and 3 in the coach). We only travel about 3-4 months a year so I didn't want to pay around $150.00 for three additional receiver boxes for the 8 or 9 months I wasn't using them.

After Biker Billy's post about Dish's Tailgater service, I called DirecTV to ask if they had a similar service. Turns out they do. It's called SatGo ( http://www.directv.com/satgo ). It sounds like the same thing except it comes with an attached LCD TV. Unfortunately, like the Tailgater, it is limited to just that one TV and both are truly geared to the Tailgating crowd.

I then asked again about using those boxes I bought and if there was a way to only pay for the service when it was being used. Well, it turns out that since those additional receiver boxes are owned and not leased, I can have them added to my account and have the service to those boxes activated and de-activated at will.

Now, I can install the three purchased boxes in the coach permanently. I no longer have to disconnect the boxes in the house and install them in the coach when we travel and reverse the process when we get back. I still have to subscribe to Distant Network Service to be able to receive from any location. But, not having to move that equipment every time just made my life a lot easier.

I'll bet that you can do the same with Dish Network.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling Billy.