Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
jmj437

Default Electrical Problem...........I think.........

Have a 2004 Gulfstream BT Cruiser. Model M-5270-Ford
My problem is (I Think) when I plug into external power from my house, should I be able to use the interior lighting or does it work only when the "floor switch" is turn on and you are hooked up to shore power (house)?
My friend and I have been discussing this for several days. On his unit he can use the lighting just being hooked up to shore power with out the "floor switch" being on. MY unit does not do this. I only get interior lights when the floor switch is on..............plus all of the interior goodies

Also with external power on and floor switch off, does the house battery? get charged. I believe my converter has been change at one time.

I call Gulfstream and was told that my interior lighting will only work when the floor switch is turned on. It is not designed to come on with only external power is hooked up to the unit. I was also told that by just using external power without floor switch on that my house battery would be charged

Do I have a problem or is this the norm for Gulfstream units????????

Thanks in advance
JJ
jmj437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Nanaeve

Default Electrical Problem?

My 2009 Endura has a 12 V switch in the entry that must be turned on to have lighting, no matter with shore power, generator or battery. The lighting is all 12 V and will work ONLY if I turn 12 V power on. My understanding is that the generator and shore power charge the batteries and they power all the lighting.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
ghamblen

We have a 2006 class C Ultra 6316. The switch must be on to use any 12 volt items. When the switch is off the batteries still get charged.
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Nutravlr

I have an Endura and the floor switch I think you reference must be "on" for my interior lights to work even if I am plugged into the shore. A friend with a Montana trailer does not have this arrangement . GS tells me it is working as designed.

HOWEVER, of my two batteries, the one closest to the exterior compartment door is using water much too too fast. In a week, the water over the plates goes away. I am on shore power. I have no idea why or what to do but this cannot be the proper process. It seems to me I must be overcharging the battery? But if so, why? I have never had a motorhome so this is new to me, I must be doing something wrong leaving it plugged in but that the only way I can operate lots of things. I thought maybe turning off that floor switch from battery might help but I cannot see how it would as it supposedly always charges when on shore. Ideas?
Nutravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
Frosty

@ jmj437, all of the replies are inline with my MH also. Sounds like everything is working as it should.

@ Nutravlr, I think you need a charging system check. Both batteries should be getting the same amount of power. Also could be a bad battery.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Nutravlr

Motorhomes of Texas did find it was a dead cell and replaced the two house batteries without charge, saying that they should have caught this when they sold me the unit. The batteries were out of warranty. They also without charge welded a brace on the battery tray. I thought it could bounce around a little too much being absent a support on one end. Thanks.
Nutravlr is offline   Reply With Quote