Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-17-2020, 09:49 PM   #1
Barryyw5

Default 8295 se

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. My wife and I were 5th wheelers for many years until last year when we sold the truck and camper to start getting ready for retirement. My wife has retired and I have approx 18 months to go. We want to purchase a used class a sometime next year. We want to stay in the 30 to 34 foot range so we can still get in state campgrounds on the north shore of Lake Superior. While doing research I stumbled on a 2005 Sun Voyager 8295 that we both thought was perfect especially with the slide out atrium. Here is where I have some questions. We have a FWD Equinox that tops out at 5k gross weight that we would like to tow with this on a tow dolly. I've always been a gm guy so I would like to find one with a workhorse/allison combination. Does this seem doable? We want to spend the first winter traveling through the south, come back in the spring and spend the summer at a resort in Minnesota. Does the 8295 have any particular issues that I need to be aware of? It appears to have a floor plan that would work for us. Any feedback would be great! Thanks. Barry.
Barryyw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
UAHaerospace

I don't think most Class A motorhomes will support a 5,000lb vehicle, especially if also on a tow dolly or trailer - many diesel coaches of that length don't support near that.

I also will respond to your 'concern' about length and National parks - that is not the 'length' of the motorhome they are referring to, but more a length of a towed CAMPER, with the TOW VEHICLE parked in front of it. So if they state 35' maximum RV length, what they are really talking about is the RV, not also the tow vehicle, which is another 15 or so feet, at least. These sites are probably more 45' to 50' in depth, not 35'. If you have a 35' RV, you'd still have room for a towed car parked in front of it, and still have plenty more room.

I've found that most site length 'limitation' claims are not 'real depths' of sites, but more of a 'guide' so that a truck, pulling a 40' fifth wheel, doesn't reserve a site that might have the truck sitting on the roadway. That same truck pulling a 35' fifth wheel will fit just fine.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
Barryyw5

Thank you for that. I always wondered about camper length versus camper and truck length. I do have to do more thinking about towing that Equinox though. Any feedback on a 8295 Sun Voyager?
Barryyw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
Sudsy

Well, at about 730 yesterday evening my 2005 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8379MXG motor home rolled out of the driveway with the new owner. It was just what you are looking for. Atrium (big 4 panel one). I had the 8.1 Chevy V8 with the Allison six speed. It was on a Workhorse W24 chassis. Had 12388 miles (yep) and full body paint. Look me up here and there are lots of pictures. I sol it only because my health is failing. $45K and I am telling you it was perfect.

Keep looking maybe there is another one out there.

Oh yea, it only hadf 12388 miles.

Sudsy