Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
SugarRv

Default New owner question

I just purchased a repo '03 Friendship Quattro 41'. I checked it over as best I could. It has the Cummins 400HP with about 50,000 miles. The slide covers were replaced last summer and a small leak by the bedroom window was repaired at the same time. The full body paint is in great condition except for a golf-ball size chip on the front end. I got it for what I consider, a steal, so small repairs won't bother me. Does this year and model have any paticular problems and concerns I should be watching for?
Thanks
SugarRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
rdlamb

SugarRv:
Welcome to the forum. I have a TM, so cannot comment on the Friendship, as far as issues unique to that model.
If you do not have the service records for that coach:
You have an air-line dryer on the air brakes that may need changing.
You have a filter on the power steering line that may need changing.
Oil, air, and fuel filters x 2 all may need changing.

Your Allison trans is at its required 50K service, filters and possibly fluid.

Generator may need service.
Check the water in your batteries.
Check the hydraulic fluid in your power slides/levelers.

The Cummins is rock solid, as is the Allison Trans. Go to the Freightliners web site: http://www.freightlinerchassisownersclub.org/ to see it there are any recalls for your chassis/engine/trans.

Also, Family Motor Coach Assn is a great site for information. http://www.fmca.com/

Oh, have your steering linkage set up checked.

Sounds like a lot, but prevention is the best policy.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
gsadmin

Welcome SugarRV
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
fatboylust

Default Welcome aboard

After a year and four months full-timing in our 02 Friendship I have found no specific issues with the coach to report. It may be time to replace the zinc anode in you water heater, check the condition of the tires and brakes. The mileage isn't enough to wear either out, but you don't know how it was driven by the previous owner. It is just good to know before to head out on the open road.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
rdlamb

I agree with FatBoy.
Check the air in the tires.

I tried 2 sets of the valve cap air pressure indicators, so I could walk by the tires and see green stripes on the caps and know the air pressure was ok. Both sets failed me. My brother in law is a long haul trucker, who tells me truckers just laugh at these, as they are more likely to show your pressure being ok when in fact it is low.

Looking at a tire monitor system now, but still just go around checking with a gauge every time I fill up.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
gsadmin

Load up the coach with provisions, water, fuel, people, etc. and then go to a local recycling yard and get all four-corner weighed with the coach as level as you can (put each tire on the scale separately). Also get a total left vs. right side weight. This information is super important for safety, ride comfort, tire pressure, and tire wear. You can read in my other recent post just how badly balanced the weight was in my rig. After speaking to many repair shops, this is evidently more of the norm for coach manufacturers than it is the exception.

I suggest all of you out there go through this process.
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
gsadmin

I forgot to add that the per-axle max weights are on a sticker inside the coach. divide each axle by two and that is how much each side on that axle can carry. Because of poor loading or design, you could be fine with the total axle weight, but be exceeding the spring on one side or the other due to an imbalance.
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
03heritagerider

Default Re: New owner question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarRv
I just purchased a repo '03 Friendship Quattro 41'. I checked it over as best I could. It has the Cummins 400HP with about 50,000 miles. The slide covers were replaced last summer and a small leak by the bedroom window was repaired at the same time. The full body paint is in great condition except for a golf-ball size chip on the front end. I got it for what I consider, a steal, so small repairs won't bother me. Does this year and model have any paticular problems and concerns I should be watching for?
Thanks
We bought an '03 Frienship Quattro new. I've had to repair or replace several items that I would suspect any MH owner would. Nothing I would consider specific to the Friendship. Have replaced the controller on the steps, dash heater valve, two slide toppers, furnace curcuit board, toilet flush valve, vent fan motors, overhead windshield fans. All in all, normal wear items. We have 36,000 miles and tires are starting to show rot. Infact, blew an inside rear tire on the way to Florida in January. The only real quality issue I have is with the paint. It's peeling in several places. I had a body man look and he said the clear is cracking and peeling then the color goes after. The paint on top of the mirrors is completely gone. Going to replace with chrome ones. If I have to get the whole unit painted, I'm going pure white. Easy to touch-up. I've got to say, I love the unit and figure it requires the same maintenance as the brick 'n stick home. Good luck and enjoy!